PDA

View Full Version : Daddy has a (Panel) Saw problem....

Austin Works
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the comments on the chest of my gramp's - as I mentioned I have a soft spot for small panel saws. I think its the detail on the handles which take on some of the curves of nice backsaws.

The pictures are of a D-8 with 20" blade, a user made split nut with 18" blade, the D-7 with a 16" blade, and a T. Tillotson & Sons with a 14" blade. In the second picture you can see the Tillotson stampings. Near the handle you can see part of the "Extra Quality" stamp that follows the radius of the handle.

john brenton
09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Love the D7

Chris Vandiver
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Austin,
Isn't that a Disston #7 and not a Disston D-7?

john brenton
09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Dang Chris, you're good at this! Haha. BTW, mine is a #12, not a D-12. You were right.

Austin,
Isn't that a Disston #7 and not a Disston D-7?

Mike Olson
09-30-2010, 5:20 PM
This is my #7 Panel saw.

It's by far my most favorite and most used saw.

Andrae Covington
10-11-2010, 5:32 PM
I like panel saws because, well, I have to. I'm 5'2", with arms and legs scaled accordingly. I recently built a couple sawbenches, and to work with my knee height they are only 16" tall. You can see in the photo (taken while sawing the ripping notch) that at a steep ripping angle even a 22" saw is almost too long. Not that I plan to do a lot of ripping by hand, but I did work out the geometry before I went hunting for saws.

I have three short handsaws I purchased on ebay over time. It was particularly difficult to find one with rip teeth rather than crosscut. I know, I could refile a crosscut panel saw, but I was not sure how successful I would be.

Bottom saw is a 22" Disston D-8 crosscut with 9ppi, then a 20" Disston #7 crosscut with 11ppi, and on top a 22" "Warranted Superior" etched as "The Astoria" rip with 6ppi.