PDA

View Full Version : See what you all have done?!

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Is it just me, or is anyone else this anal? :D I know, I know, get to turning it. I will, I will. I already turned a 10" green piece of the Walnut at Tony's. I have a few "have to" projects before I start in on more of these.

And again, I have to thank Tony for coming over twice and for hosting a cut up at his place. This is all from the stuff he and I cut up together. I think it'll keep me busy for a while.

BTW, in my thread about cutting up the Walnut over at Tony's this past weekend, someone mentioned making pens out of the scraps. I'm not a pen maker, don't plan to be, don't want to be...for now. So, I cut up what I could salvage from the scrap pile and posted some pics of the pen blanks, and that mentioned that if anyone wants them, they can have them. Here's a link to the thread...see the pics and read!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1522594#poststop

John Keeton
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Mike, I want you to know that the postings of you, and Sean Hughto, have shocked me into reality!! I have now realized that my addiction to wood is out of control:o, and I will soon be liquidating significant 'holdings.':eek:

However, there is some very nice curly maple that I have found......:rolleyes:;)...and with the money from the sale of the other wood, I could.....

Man, we are a sick bunch!!!!:D

charlie knighton
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
nice bowl blanks, but what do you fish for with that lure, more blanks???

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
That ought to keep ya busy. Now get to turning.:eek::D

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 12:53 PM
John, why? Because ours is NOTHING compared to what you have? :eek:

Charlie, its to remind me that there is life outside the shop. ;) Actually, it was a gift from my niece and nephew. Wife wouldn't allow it anywhere in the house, so...

And yes, Bernie, I need to gettin' that pile smaller...I know.

David E Keller
09-28-2010, 1:14 PM
Alright, Mike, there is a twelve step program. It's not for the wood addiction, but it may help with the compulsive organization! For some reason, I picture Keeton's stash being very similarly stacked and labeled. Mine looks more like Leo's.

If I ever make it into your shop, I'll likely move blanks into inappropriate stacks just to see if you become agitated.:D

Roger Chandler
09-28-2010, 1:17 PM
What a nice way to store your wood blanks! That is just about as good as I have seen. Mike.

Every bit of that is a blessing, not a curse! Just be thankful, and as you go along, you might find someone who could trade you for a couple of blanks with some wood that you do not currently have.

You should be thrilled! I am just seeing how you have processed it all, and now you have storage "to die for" :eek::D;)

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 3:27 PM
Yes, David, that would drive me bonkers... unless we were pounding back a few...then I could handle it. ;) Luckily for me, you like quite a ways away. But, if you are ever in this area, you are certainly welcome to rearrange my stack.

Thanks Roger. This was more out of necessity than a need for order. If I didn't do this, I would be moving them around the shop every other day trying to get to other things I need to get to...like I do with all the other crap I have laying around. Yes, I like things neat, but this was more out of need than want.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2010, 3:38 PM
Is it just me, or is anyone else this anal? :D I know, I know, get to turning it. I will, I will. I already turned a 10" green piece of the Walnut at Tony's. I have a few "have to" projects before I start in on more of these.

And again, I have to thank Tony for coming over twice and for hosting a cut up at his place. This is all from the stuff he and I cut up together. I think it'll keep me busy for a while.

BTW, in my thread about cutting up the Walnut over at Tony's this past weekend, someone mentioned making pens out of the scraps. I'm not a pen maker, don't plan to be, don't want to be...for now. So, I cut up what I could salvage from the scrap pile and posted some pics of the pen blanks, and that mentioned that if anyone wants them, they can have them. Here's a link to the thread...see the pics and read!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1522594#poststop

Hi Mike :), just keep it up you'll run out of room in the foreseeable future :rolleyes: :D

I just got a question, what did you use for sealing those blanks ??, doesn't look like a wax-emulsion (Anchorseal), paint is not a good alternative IMO :(.

Then one other point, stacking those blanks up high might free up room on the floor, but it is not the best place to keep blanks (warmest spot), I'd hate to see all your work go up into smo-...hmn-splinters :eek:

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 3:44 PM
WAY to organized....

Have to agree with Leo - no matter what you have the blanks sealed with - in their present location they will be subjected to the highest temps your shop offers. Probably not a good thing.

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 4:44 PM
Well, NOW you tell me! Yes, Leo, that is paint. Actually, a very good exterior paint, not a cheap interior one, but latex paint none the less.

As for it being up high, yeah, that certainly is warmer than on the ground. They are at 9-10 feet. The roof and ceiling rise to 15 feet at the highest point, so it isn't quite the hottest spot in the shop, but again, certainly warmer than the floor. I also finally got the shop air conditioned and heated, so hopefully, the temp won't change tooo much. Guess I'll just have to get to those blanks sooner rather than later...:rolleyes: oh, well...

Also, as for sealing them, when I took my bowl turning class at Woodcraft, I meant to purchase Anchorseal, but they gave me Arm-R-Seal instead by mistake. I have to take it back and exchange it for my next batch.

Gary Herrmann
09-28-2010, 6:04 PM
I have no comments on the compulsive storage method. Marking the sizes is actually a good idea, IMO.

As for the lure, well, I have a 40" long crescent wrench somone gave me hanging up in my shop.

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks, Gary. But it seems like I have, as I thought, more wood than I know what to do with. There is NO WAY I'm going to get to these before they crack up on me.

Anyone who wants some, let me know. Come by, have a beer, and take some home. I'll even supply the beer!

Help me out of this hole I dug...:o

Hey, Roger, how far am I from Lower Delaware? I can make it to Rehobeth in about 3 hours or so...

Roger Chandler
09-28-2010, 7:04 PM
Thanks, Gary. But it seems like I have, as I thought, more wood than I know what to do with. There is NO WAY I'm going to get to these before they crack up on me.

Anyone who wants some, let me know. Come by, have a beer, and take some home. I'll even supply the beer!

Help me out of this hole I dug...:o

Hey, Roger, how far am I from Lower Delaware? I can make it to Rehobeth in about 3 hours or so...

Mike,

Baxter is from lower Delaware. I am in the Shenandoah Valley, an hour or so south of Tony. I have more walnut than I can get to, so I hope if you can share with Baxter, that he can use it.

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 7:09 PM
Oops, sorry, Roger. Got your two locations mixed up. It has been one of those days...:o

Karl Card
09-28-2010, 8:04 PM
I personally really dont see the problem here. GOT WOOD, cant ever have enough wood. If you do that just means that your shop is to small.
I think I have enough pen blanks for about 1500 pens... I figure when I get to 2500 I might sell a few but till then, they are not going anywhere except on a barrel. lol

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2010, 9:10 PM
Well, NOW you tell me! Yes, Leo, that is paint. Actually, a very good exterior paint, not a cheap interior one, but latex paint none the less.

As for it being up high, yeah, that certainly is warmer than on the ground. They are at 9-10 feet. The roof and ceiling rise to 15 feet at the highest point, so it isn't quite the hottest spot in the shop, but again, certainly warmer than the floor. I also finally got the shop air conditioned and heated, so hopefully, the temp won't change tooo much. Guess I'll just have to get to those blanks sooner rather than later...:rolleyes: oh, well...

Also, as for sealing them, when I took my bowl turning class at Woodcraft, I meant to purchase Anchorseal, but they gave me Arm-R-Seal instead by mistake. I have to take it back and exchange it for my next batch.

The paint is better than nothing, and if you have a unheated space, that would be the better place to put it, don't get all worked up about this now, as someone said "wood grows on trees" but it is a lot of work you don't want to waste or the wood :)