PDA

View Full Version : Using a Festool Track Saw for a Panel Saw

Brian Backner
09-28-2010, 7:35 AM
Given that these things cut plywood so well and virtually chip free in my experience, it occurred to me that figuring out a way to affix one of the tracks to an adjustable frame/table would be a good thing. My initial thoughts are to use DeStaco toggle clamps to hold the track in place at top and bottom into positioning slots. That way the track could be removed and used in the more traditional way.

Any other thoughts?

Brian
Taxachusetts

Will Overton
09-28-2010, 8:08 AM
Doesn't the Festool work table do what you want?

Brian Backner
09-28-2010, 8:20 AM
Will,

Yes, but it is way too small. I envision a 6x10' frame hinged to the ceiling so I'll be able to swing it down and load it with the 5x8' sheets of Baltic Birch plywood that I frequently use.

Still, you make a good suggestion. Next chance I get, I'll head up the local Woodcraft store and look at how the rail clamps to the table, how it adjusts, etc.

Brian

Larry Fox
09-28-2010, 8:22 AM
Make your own MFT. If you go to some of the forums there are pics / threads about guys who have made some pretty big and impressive MFTs. They don't look hard to build at all and you can make it exactly the size you need (and most probably cheaper).

Frank Shannon
09-28-2010, 8:42 AM
It's been done at least once and in a very big way. Check out this thread from the Festool forum

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-jigs-tool-enhancements/ts-55-vertical-panel-saw/

Jamie Buxton
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
It kinda depends on how much space you have, and what kind of space it is. I have limited floor space, and my wall space is better used for things other than a vertical panel saw. I use the track saw on plywood by putting the sheet down on sawhorses. To stow the system, the sawhorses fold up, the tracks hang on a short section of wall, and the saw goes on a shelf. That is, the stowed "panel saw" eats very little room. By contrast, a vertical panel saw eats a whole wall, and an MFT-like device big enough to handle a whole 4x8 sheet -- well, that's a lot of dedicated floor space.

Andrew Joiner
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
This is the best shop built idea for 10' or so wall space. http://plansnow.com/dn3099.html
I have a panel saw I built that is simple and accurate, but it needs 19' minimum wall space to rip a full 8' sheet.

To be solid and accurate vertical panel saws get heavy. It might hurt the accuracy to flip it up to the ceiling. Do you have space clear of lighting on your ceiling?

Brian Backner
09-28-2010, 1:16 PM
Andrew,

I actually started to build that panel saw - it was from a ShopNotes issue from three or four years ago. I stopped when I realized that it would not be rigid enough to hinge to the ceiling.

To overcome the rigidity problem, I have switched to making a support bed/table out of welded steel tubing.

I was/am also concerned about face chipping/tearout when cutting high end plywood (I use mostly prefinished hardwood faced plywood with multiple cores - think baltic birch plywood, but with high quality face veneers). At $140+ per sheet, chipout is a big no-no.

Anyway, I finally bought a Festool track saw about three months ago and was impressed - I have yet to see ANY chipout with the plywood I work with.

So the thought came to me to come up with a panel saw design using a Festool track saw.

Frank: That panel saw on the FOG is impressive, but it really doesn't use the Festool track. The saw is captured in a cradle and the cradle rides on some sort of linear rail system like virtually every other panel saw I've ever seen. So I guess that leads to the question of what accounts for the Festool's ability to cut plywood without chipout - is it due to the anatomy of the blade/saw or to the use of the track with the plastic strip?

Brian
Taxachusetts