PDA

View Full Version : How many industries using laser machines?

TONG LI
09-28-2010, 7:06 AM
Exploring the market brings up the question: what other industries using laser machine besides engraving business?

Does woodworking business using laser machine?

Tong

Dan Hintz
09-28-2010, 9:16 AM
You name it, someone probably uses it. It's used to create die-cut boards (wood), knife blanks (metal), toys (plastic), etc.

Robert Walters
09-28-2010, 9:30 AM
I know of one very nice custom cabinet making company that uses a full sheet size CNC saw for mostly 3/8" Birch.

This shop seems to be the exception in that they grasp technology as the owners are Ex IBM'ers.

Do you have a sample photo of cutting, drilling, and dovetailing 3/8" Birch for a drawer that doesn't have char marks?

Robert Walters
09-28-2010, 9:31 AM
You name it, someone probably uses it. It's used to create die-cut boards (wood), knife blanks (metal), toys (plastic), etc.

But, but, but all those items are made in china!

Kenneth Hertzog
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Also what Dan said
pretty much the same thing
ken

Bruce Boone
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
We used a large laser at the bike factory where I worked to cut the tubes for the bikes. It would cut all 8 tubes, with the fishmouth cuts top and bottom and drill holes for welding in about 40 seconds per bike. It used to take crews of guys on milling machines and different special fixtures a week to do a batch of bikes whereas the laser could do a batch in under an hour. These were mainly aluminum tubes we worked with, but did some steel and titanium ones as well.

Martin Boekers
09-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I guess a better question is what industries don't use a laser
but potentially could.

Marty

Mike Null
09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
We used to have a member who operated two Kern lasers for a company which made the fancy busses that entertainers use. The million dollar ones. She cut all manner of plastics for decorating and fabricating the interior of the busses.

The company fell by the wayside early in the recession.

Kevin Groenke
09-28-2010, 1:05 PM
Sheet metal shops for sure. A shop that does work for us has 4) 3000w Mazak lasers, I imagine most hvac sheet metal is laser cut.

On the opposite end of the scale are architectural and scale model builders.

Lee DeRaud
09-28-2010, 5:03 PM
Does woodworking business using laser machine?When I joined in early 2005, this forum was called "Laser Woodworking", although a rather low percentage of the people here were actually using it for that.
(I've got a friend who refers to mine as a "photon scrollsaw".:cool:)