PDA

View Full Version : Holy olive logs Batman!

Jason Clark2
09-28-2010, 1:30 AM
A fellow turner called me up this morning and wanted to know if I wanted some olive - Duh!

A tree trimmer he's befriended was taking out a pair of Olive trees at a local apartment complex. He told me he'd call once he got there to let me know what there would be.

He called me this afternoon and said he had the wood, that they had taken down 3 trees, and indicated that some of the pieces were up to 20" diameter! I had my doubts about the size but as soon as he opened his garage all the doubts were thrown out. I drove away with 4 big pieces, less than 1/4 of his haul, 16-19" diameter and up to 24" long. In return I left a 19-20" African Sumac crotch. I'm sure I got the better end of the deal. The best part is that the apartment complex has 35 units and all of them have a tree like this in front. We may be up to our elbows in Olive for some time to come.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2010, 1:50 AM
You seriously SUCK Jason, you know that ??, boy that's about as good as it comes, big solid pieces of Olive wood :-))

William Hutchinson
09-28-2010, 7:29 AM
Certainly a wonderful gesture by the tree service to your friend and in-turn to you. It will be nice to see the progression of your work and final results.

Nathan Hawkes
09-28-2010, 7:32 AM
I second Leo's remarks, but only out of the jealousy that comes from never having turned any olive wood. Happy turning, Jason!!

David E Keller
09-28-2010, 8:23 AM
You seriously suck... Big time suckage!

Congrats on a great wood haul!

bob svoboda
09-28-2010, 8:49 AM
Nice score, Jason. Can't wait to see the results.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 9:30 AM
Wow! Congrats on all that beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow, now that's a gloat! Beautiful wood. Would love to see what you turn out of it...

Tim Rinehart
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
You know it, I know it, everyone knows...you WILL NOT be able to turn all this wood before it goes bad.
If you wait till it's all dry and checked and good for nothing but sustaining a fire, what joy will you have provided to the many of us willing to HELP you.

I would like to step up and say, "YES, I'll have some Sir!", and be a part of a larger good you'll be doing by not letting that beautiful wood go to naught.

PM and I'll provide an address you can send a piece, and in return, I have some very nice elm or perhaps walnut I can entice you with.

...if this works, I'll be the one gloating! I just hope no one else gets the same idea!;)

Karl Card
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
That is just incredible. Olivewood is one of the top woods in my book. Absolutely love the smell of it when being turned.

charlie knighton
09-28-2010, 11:21 AM
great gloat,, congratulations

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Congrats on a great gloat. That is some nice looking wood.

David E Keller
09-28-2010, 1:24 PM
You know it, I know it, everyone knows...you WILL NOT be able to turn all this wood before it goes bad.
If you wait till it's all dry and checked and good for nothing but sustaining a fire, what joy will you have provided to the many of us willing to HELP you.

I would like to step up and say, "YES, I'll have some Sir!", and be a part of a larger good you'll be doing by not letting that beautiful wood go to naught.

PM and I'll provide an address you can send a piece, and in return, I have some very nice elm or perhaps walnut I can entice you with.

...if this works, I'll be the one gloating! I just hope no one else gets the same idea!;)

This kind of selflessness is what makes woodturners such a fine bunch!:D