PDA

View Full Version : Dos Hollow form

Josh Bowman
09-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm getting a little more comfortable with the Monster hollowing system. I havn't hollowed with anything but the Monster yet....but I can say the thing really makes the process simple. I got so involved in the hollowing that as I worked my way out of the top, I forgot how close the tool rest was to the form and the boring bar slipped off the rest but caught on the bit......that made the opeing have to be a little larger:o
This form is a little larger so it was easier. It was just a cut off of a large cherry bowl blank I hacked out of a crotch. I really didn't think it would produce anything. It's about 5 1/2" high and 5" wide. Even though it's green, I went ahead and thinned it to about 3/16". I finished it with Tung oil. We'll see if it cracks. Critique away.

John Keeton
09-28-2010, 6:41 AM
Right nice work on that one, Josh! You are one up on me - I have not attempted this form yet. From those I have seen posted and the comments, most folks like a smaller foot and more curve to the sides, but for my tastes this one looks good!

Josh Bowman
09-28-2010, 7:22 AM
Right nice work on that one, Josh! You are one up on me - I have not attempted this form yet. From those I have seen posted and the comments, most folks like a smaller foot and more curve to the sides, but for my tastes this one looks good!
Thanks John, I agree with the shape issue. The foot is too wide and the sides turn out to have a very slight inward curve, which I think is drawing the eye to it, instead of the whole thing. I've got to figure out the shape. It's a good shape for scrape, often you find stuff that is triangler.
Any examples or ideas might help.

Ken Whitney
09-28-2010, 7:25 AM
Josh,

Looks good. I've noticed that some forms look OK when horizontal on the lathe and quite different when vertical.

Are you using the articulated arm or the captive system?

Grant Wilkinson
09-28-2010, 8:48 AM
I think the shape is fine. I would think that, if the foot were much smaller, it would be tippy.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 9:28 AM
Josh - looks pretty good for your second hollow form! Doesn't take long at all to get comfortable with the Monster system!

Only suggestion at this time is to work on your curves. That's something that comes with time.

Looking forward to seeing HF #3!

Josh Bowman
09-28-2010, 9:39 AM
Josh,

Looks good. I've noticed that some forms look OK when horizontal on the lathe and quite different when vertical.

Are you using the articulated arm or the captive system?

Yes I am. I'm thinking it's slower than the captured system, but it's been very forgiving so far. I seem to be able to make thinner forms and have all kinds of control. I also can really feel the tool inside. However with that said, that is why I goofed the mouth. I got so comfortable, that I pulled the bar off the rest with the bit still cutting:eek:. Why it didn't explode is beyound me. If I had done that with my hand tools.....there would have been only a description of what I was trying to do, instead of pictures. All it did was remove a few chunks that were actually very easy to clean up on the thinned mounth.