PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine grinding jig

Tom Godley
09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I am redoing and upgrading my sharpening station and so I have to remount my Wolverine jig. The directions say that the jig should be inline with the front of the wheel and no further back than 1/2 from the front of the table.

I followed the directions last time -- but as I used the jig I never did understand why it needs to be within 1/2 of the front. It looks like it makes no difference.

Am I missing something

Mike Cruz
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I think it may have to do with either access to the screws for mounting the base, or the locking arm having enough clearance. I don't remember why, but after I mounted it, I seem to remember saying, Oh, that's why. Maybe it was something else, though...

For me, I had another issue...:mad: I read the directions frontwards and back. I read them at least 5 times. I wanted to make sure that before I made the stand for my grinder, all dimensions and recommendations for clearances were accommodated for. Well...they never say anything about how much space BEHIND the grinder is needed. :mad: I mounted mine almost flush to the wall. Sooooooo, after I got everything all set up, I slid the V arm into the base and slam! :eek: Oh, no! What to do, what to do! Do I drill a hole in my wall so I can push this arm in? Do I start over from scratch making a new stand? Ooooooor, do I do some quick research? Yup a new arm is $20. A hack saw to my V arm to make it short enough to use the jig to sharpen my bowl gouge, and an order in to Oneway for a new arm. Problem solved.

Sorry, not meant to be a hijack. Hope my answer above was correct. :o