PDA

View Full Version : Domino -solid wood edge to MDF

Jim Tobias
09-27-2010, 7:47 PM
I am making a newly veneered desktop for my grandson's desk and want to know if anyone would have 2nd thoughts about using dominos to connect 1.5" (width) solid wood edge(oak) to MDF veneered core?

Thanks for any help, advice or warnings,

Jim

Mike Henderson
09-27-2010, 8:04 PM
If you're laying the veneer yourself, I'd attach the edging before laying the veneer, then use a router to put some profile on the edge. That is, you bring the edging down level with the substrate before laying the veneer, and the veneer covers some of the edging.

The problem with attaching the edging after laying the veneer is getting the edging to line up with the panel. Since the veneer is so thin, you absolutely have to set the edging proud of the veneer and then take it down. Doing that without damaging the veneer is difficult - it certainly can be done but one screwup will destroy the whole panel.

If you're using hardwood ply for your panel, I'd attach the edging, trying to get it as close as possible to flat with the ply, then use a V bit and route a small channel on the line between the edging and the ply. That way, you won't notice the differences in height between the panel and the edging.

Mike

[If your question is just about using the Domino, the major advantage would be in alignment, same as a biscuit. You don't need it for strength. Gluing directly to the MDF will be plenty strong.]

Chris Tsutsui
09-27-2010, 8:20 PM
Mike's method seems like you can get better results than what I did.

I just clamp and glue the edging to the veneered MDF first. You can use blue painters tape to protect the veneer from squeeze out. Make sure the edging is higher "proud" relative to the veneer.

Then you can carefully scrape the edging until it's flush with the tape which is there to protect your veneer.

Finally you remove the tape, do some light sanding, and hopefully you don't sand through the veneer. :D

If you botch either of the mentioned methods. You can always use a router and route a 1/8" channel at the glue seam. This will remove all imperfections with your joint. Then inlay a 1/8" decorative hardwood piece in there and hand scrape smooth and you will turn a mistake into a possible improvement.

Jim Tobias
09-27-2010, 8:24 PM
Mike/Chris,
Thanks for the advice. I've done the "scraping the edge to match the veneer height" before and feel I can do that wiht a little patience. My main concern (and maybe it isn't justified) is the dominoes in the MDF and whether or not they will hold up to an 8 year olds destructive power.

What do you think? Nothing to worry about??

Thanks,
Jim

Mike Henderson
09-27-2010, 8:41 PM
Mike/Chris,
Thanks for the advice. I've done the "scraping the edge to match the veneer height" before and feel I can do that wiht a little patience. My main concern (and maybe it isn't justified) is the dominoes in the MDF and whether or not they will hold up to an 8 year olds destructive power.

What do you think? Nothing to worry about??

Thanks,
Jim
Yep, nothing to worry about unless your edging is very wide. For inch and a half edging it'd take a lot to break it off, with or without Dominos.

I assume you're going to miter the corners. A spline, biscuit or Domino would help there.

Mike