PDA

View Full Version : Music Boxes Finished - PICS

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Well....I've been really busy making Christmas gifts. Some were commission work and others were for family members.

Anyway....here's a couple of pics of one of the music boxes I have made. A customer of mine ordered three of these for his daughters for Christmas.

Box sides and top are Curly Maple from Curlywoods (Thanks Mike Mastin!!!) and the stripe and bottom are made from Black Walnut. Finger joints and part of the box is lined with black Velvet. Finish is a very light Watco Danish Oil "rub", let dry for 2 days and then rubbed again and apply 3 coats of oil based Poly thinned with Naptha to speed the drying process.

Corvin Alstot
12-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Nice looking wood and box.
Excellent!
What system did you use to cut your box joints?

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Nice looking wood and box.
Excellent!
What system did you use to cut your box joints?

Corwin,

I used a homemade box joint jig and a stack dado set for 1/4" wide fingers. It looks ugly....but it works pretty good!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Corvin Alstot
12-19-2004, 12:40 AM
DO you use a sacrificial back plate or how to do keep from getting chip out?
I just finished a project and my home made jig did not give me a good clean cut at the back of the cut.

Keith Christopher
12-19-2004, 1:20 AM
Dennis !

awesome job !!!

keith

Martin Shupe
12-19-2004, 1:25 AM
Very nice, Dennis.

Where do you get the parts that make the music? I confess I have not actually searched for any, but just today I was telling my wife how our manger scene had a wind up music box thingy that played "Silent Night" when I was a kid, and how I wish I could find one to add to our display.

You really popped the curl this time!

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 1:55 AM
Very nice, Dennis.

Where do you get the parts that make the music? I confess I have not actually searched for any, but just today I was telling my wife how our manger scene had a wind up music box thingy that played "Silent Night" when I was a kid, and how I wish I could find one to add to our display.

You really popped the curl this time!

Martin,

I got the music movements from Rockler. If you do a Google search for music movements, you'll find some suppliers that have MANY choices. Some of the better movements are Swiss Made. These are 18 note movements and are about $10 each. There is 32 note, 50 note and 72 note movements. The 72 note movements are about $370!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Most of the movements are designed for very shallow boxes....so I had to make a brass "plunger" to make it all work properly.

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 1:57 AM
DO you use a sacrificial back plate or how to do keep from getting chip out?
I just finished a project and my home made jig did not give me a good clean cut at the back of the cut.

Corvin,

You should set one up that allows for a hardboard sacrifical plate. Mine is single purpose and a specific depth of cut. I get clean cuts as long as I just that exact height. I build this one to get me through the Christmas crunch time. I'll make a better one in the very near future. ;)

Michael Stafford
12-19-2004, 7:18 AM
Wonderfully executed! :) I love the finish and the way that the maple looks like glass. :D Makes you want to just stroke them.

If they sound half as good as they look you'll be nominated for a Grammy! :rolleyes: ;) ;) :D

Congrats! Santa or at least one of his helpers lives in Conway, Arkansas. :)

Mark Singer
12-19-2004, 8:09 AM
Great looking box! Very nice work!

Jim Becker
12-19-2004, 10:06 AM
'Little bit o figure in that lumber there, Dennis! Nice. Very nice.

Wes Newman
12-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Dennis, Great looking boxes. I turned my speakers up as loud as they would go, but I still couldn't hear it playing. I'll have to get that checked out.;) What's in the left side of the box?

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Dennis, Great looking boxes. I turned my speakers up as loud as they would go, but I still couldn't hear it playing. I'll have to get that checked out.;) What's in the left side of the box?
Good Morning Wes.

The left side of the box is lined with Black Velvet so it can be used to "trinket" storage. Next time I visit my parents in Huntsville, I'll look you up. I worked on Redstone Arsenal for 18 years.

Wes Newman
12-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
Good Morning Wes.

The left side of the box is lined with Black Velvet so it can be used to "trinket" storage. Next time I visit my parents in Huntsville, I'll look you up. I worked on Redstone Arsenal for 18 years.Dennis, My family just moved here about three months ago. I am originally from Springdale Arkansas. I'd love to have you stop by. My Garhop isn't even in showing condition, maybe by the time you visit I'll have everything set up. I'll be driving through your neck of the woods Tuesday evening and then the Next Sunday Morning.

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 1:29 PM
Dennis, My family just moved here about three months ago. I am originally from Springdale Arkansas. I'd love to have you stop by. My Garhop isn't even in showing condition, maybe by the time you visit I'll have everything set up. I'll be driving through your neck of the woods Tuesday evening and then the Next Sunday Morning.

Stop by.....If you travel I-40 to Springdale, You'll pass within 5.2 miles of my house. PM me if you want to stop by for a break. It's 3 hours to Springdale from here.

Jim VanBramer
12-19-2004, 2:18 PM
Great job Dennis!

My daughter just asked me yesterday if I could make her something like that, so I'll be hanging on to these pics! Thanks for posting them ... and Merry Christmas!

Jim

John Olson
12-19-2004, 9:13 PM
Nice music box Dennis. I gave a music box to the toys for tots at my local 7-11. I can tell you it was no where near as nice as yours. Next year I will have to do better for the kids. I also did not take the lid off he music movement and attach the on off feature. I know how to do it, but have not done it enough to feel happy with it. Again nice work.