PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hackberry

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 7:19 PM
Here's a fun little piece of spalted hackberry that I got from a patient a year or two ago. It has some of the more interesting spalting I've seen in a while. The top and collar are from African blackwood with veneer accents. I 'finished' this piece about a month ago, but I keep staring at the funial and thinking about changing it. I may still change it, but I thought I'd post it before I forget it exists.

Roughly 5 inches wide and 7 inches tall.

Your thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: I added the third photo to show the top of the funial.

charlie knighton
09-27-2010, 7:26 PM
very nice, the form is good and overshadows the nice wood, hackberry is very hard once it dries

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2010, 7:29 PM
Nice work David! I think your funial matches the curve quite well! Is it hollow?

Baxter Smith
09-27-2010, 7:46 PM
Looks good to me David. Pretty wood and it flows well into the funial. Maybe it would look like more of the norm if you changed it, but I think it is quite distinctive and fitting as is.

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 8:15 PM
Nice work David! I think your funial matches the curve quite well! Is it hollow?

It's hollowed down the middle like a funnel. You can't see that in the photos... There's also a veneer band at the top of the funial, but I manage to take a bunch of photos that don't show it either.:o

Roger Chandler
09-27-2010, 8:26 PM
You, my friend, are on a ROLL! Another home run! ;)

Richard Madden
09-27-2010, 8:32 PM
Really like the grain and spalting. Not crazy about the funial shape, but I do like the veneer accent(s). A little more funnel in the funial might help.

Pete Jordan
09-27-2010, 8:34 PM
Another Keeper David!

Beautiful wood and shape and I also like the funial.

John Keeton
09-27-2010, 9:01 PM
This one could be a favorite of mine, David! I really, really like the veneer addition, and the overall look of the piece. The hackberry is very unusual and is an attention getter. The only change that I feel would add to this piece is to bring the curve of the top of the form into the base of the finial a little better so that it produces a clean reverse curve coming off the form. That said, this piece is a very nice turning!!

David DeCristoforo
09-27-2010, 9:05 PM
Nice again. I love the veneered contrast at the top of the "funial" and again, a very different take...

David E Keller
09-28-2010, 1:22 PM
Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions.