PDA

View Full Version : Old Rockwell planer climbing problem

Warren Clemans
09-27-2010, 6:43 PM
I have an old Rockwell Invicta 13" Brazilian-made planer from the early 80s. It's a massive beast that has always given great service. Lately it has started climbing while planing--that is, the planer height increases by itself unless I keep one hand on the adjustment handle while feeding stock with the other. It seems to be worse when I take deeper cuts. Does anyone have any idea how to stop this from happening?

Thanks,
Warren

Stephen Cherry
09-27-2010, 7:05 PM
The Taiwanese clones have handscrews that tighten against the posts, does yours have anything like this?

glenn bradley
09-27-2010, 7:15 PM
I believe the older Rockwells have a lock knob on the left hand side behind the belt guard. Is this present?

Warren Clemans
09-27-2010, 7:30 PM
Stephen--there are two knobs that I think are supposed to lock the head in place, but if I tighten them as much as I can (by hand), the climbing problem still happens.

Glenn--I'm not sure, but I'll check when I get home. This sounds promising.

Thanks!

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2010, 7:35 PM
I have an old Rockwell Invicta 13" Brazilian-made planer from the early 80s. It's a massive beast that has always given great service. Lately it has started climbing while planing--that is, the planer height increases by itself unless I keep one hand on the adjustment handle while feeding stock with the other. It seems to be worse when I take deeper cuts. Does anyone have any idea how to stop this from happening?

Thanks,
Warren

Warren, another item to check is blade sharpness.........Rod

Jeff Miller
09-27-2010, 8:30 PM
Dull Blades.......is a good bet:)

JEFF:D

Dave Cav
09-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Third vote for dull blades. Had the same problem with my 15" Griz after planing a load of teak. A sharp set of knives solved the problem. A helical head eventually solved the problem for good.

Chip Lindley
09-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Stephen--there are two knobs that I think are supposed to lock the head in place, but if I tighten them as much as I can (by hand), the climbing problem still happens.

Warren, I have the original RC33 also. Yes, there are two knurled steel knobs at front right, and rear left posts that lock down the planer head. Chances are, after years, the round wedge parts that clamp to the posts inside have become gunked up with sawdust and any lube used on the columns. Doubtful it has rusted that badly.

The front locking mechanism is easily cleaned. The rear locking shaft is harder to work on because it's rear right access is covered by the drive gearbox. But, the front lock is sufficient to hold the head securely.

Loosen the front lock knob (165) several turns, then rap it with a rawhide mallet, etc. to drive the shaft (161) out the other side. When the round wedge block (151) comes out the other side, shove it back through again to push out the wedge block (151) on the knob side. Remove both wedge blocks, and the shaft with it's two smaller round taper parts.

Clean up everything with mineral spirits. Clean out the holes in the main casting also. Reassemble, and you should be able to lock everything down as it should be. I use graphite lock lubricant on the columns. The liquid dries, leaving the graphite behind to do it's job DRY.

Addendum: Dull blades do have an affect on moving the planer head because of increased vibration. But, the real culprit is any lube that has been used on the four planer posts. That lube finds it's way to the wedge locks and mixes with fine sawdust to form a lubrious gunk that allows the lock to slide against the post even at full tension. Cleaning the wedge locks fixes the problem.

Warren Clemans
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
This is all fantastic advice--thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll sharpen the knives and clean out the locking thingamajiggers and report back.

Warren Clemans
10-04-2010, 1:01 PM
Just an update to say that you guys are a bunch of geniuses. I pulled the knives out and sharpened them. I also pulled apart the front locking mechanism, cleaned it up and re-installed. The planer now leaves a mirror-smooth surface and the climbing problem has gone away. I'm embarassed that I didn't think of this myself, but sometimes it's best just to ask the dumb question. Thanks, guys.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2010, 1:19 PM
Warren.....there are no stupid questions......just questions that go unanswered.......a lot of us learned a lot from this thread.

glenn bradley
10-04-2010, 1:31 PM
a lot of us learned a lot from this thread.

I'm one. My Griz G0453Z has similar construction as to carriage locks using gibs. I'll have this in the back of my mind if I have any issues. Thanks for asking Warren.