PDA

View Full Version : Suspended Power Cable Specs?

Kent A Bathurst
09-27-2010, 6:05 PM
Need to do a bit of rewiring to add a new [to me] 240v tool. I intend to drop the power from a box overhead for that tool, and since I am running wire + box[es] also for an existing one that operates ro/ro, eliminating an extension cord that annoys me.

Assume some type of strain relief required? Any specific details on requirements? Inexpensive suggestions? Looks like about $18 on the 'Zon [spent all of 90 secs on search].

Assume locking male + female connection? Any specific details on requirements?

What about height? Requirements/limitations on drop distance from joists, or minimum clearance from floor to drop? Clear to joists is 8'4", and I would hope to have the female at about 7' 4" above floor [easily reachable for me - and nobody else needs to be connecting power to MY tools in My shop - I don't fool with HER gardens or HER kitchen, do I? :D].

Other advice, comments welcome. New one for me.

Brian Backner
09-28-2010, 7:45 AM
I'm no electrician, but at only 8'4" high, I would want to run that cable in EMT for protection.

You might also want to check you local zoning laws - here in Massachusetts, ALL wiring for a garage or free-standing shop MUST be either inside the walls or run inside metal conduit.

Brian
Taxachusetts

Logan William
09-28-2010, 9:42 AM
Go to McMaster-Carr and search for Cable Strain relief, think of the chinese finger traps for kids, only for electrical cable. They have several different options but it comes down to either an EMT style connection on the face plate of a junction box and the cable comes straight down from there or you come out of your junction box, make a service loop then run the cable through a hanging cable grip. Either one keeps the weight hanging down from transferring to the box/connections. We use the hanging style here at work because they're easier to move, but all up to you.

Kent A Bathurst
09-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Go to McMaster-Carr and search for Cable Strain relief, think of the chinese finger traps for kids, only for electrical cable. They have several different options but it comes down to either an EMT style connection on the face plate of a junction box and the cable comes straight down from there or you come out of your junction box, make a service loop then run the cable through a hanging cable grip. Either one keeps the weight hanging down from transferring to the box/connections. We use the hanging style here at work because they're easier to move, but all up to you.

Logan - Yeah - EMT style dropping straight down from a jbox face plate - the chinese finger-trap style :D - that's what I was planning. Anything on minimum height off the floor? Seems like the 7'4" plan should be no problem.

Logan William
09-28-2010, 11:13 AM
7'4" would be way too tall for me but then I'm short, most of the ones in our plant are around 6' to 6'5" off the ground and normally located at corners of worktables or equipment to minimize the need to even stand under them in the first. Since its your shop set them to the height that works for you, if for some reason you decide that they need to be longer you've only got a 12" length of cable so if you toss it and put in a 16" or 20" piece its not like you're throwing away an expensive cord.

Kent A Bathurst
09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks, Logan. I figured I'd be OK - my fingertips can just graze 8' with my feet flat on the floor, so 7"4" is reaching, but not stretching. Didn't know if there were some odd rules out there governing that type of thing.

If I was in a production shop, warehouse, etc, I could certainly see the need to keep them out of the way, and protected from any errant forklift drivers. The one for the mobile tool will be in the center of a main "aisleway" - 15" planer, and no other place to put it to give me infeed + outfeed length [up to 14' each side, if I open the back door :D].

Logan William
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Well I wouldn't say that any odd rules don't exist...I mean you are in Georgia lol. But at least here in SW Iowa and as a manufacturing company we don't have any hard and fast rules about heights of the drops, find the right balance of useability and operator comfort, hang it and go. Haven't been told by any of the electrical or safety inspectors to move them due to code so we keep hanging them as necessary.