PDA

View Full Version : Charles Neil blotch control

Trace Beard
09-27-2010, 4:54 PM
Anybody use it? Any good?

The product looks like it works very in his video's.

Thanks,

Trace

Chris Padilla
09-27-2010, 5:45 PM
I'm not familiar with this product but as I understand it, what you want to do is to stop up/plug up the grain just a bit so that any stain doesn't penetrate too deeply.

What causes blotch is that the grain changes throughout a board and therefore stain penetrates at different rates.

Laying down a thinned coat (sealing coat, sanding sealer, etc. [lottsa names for this first coat]) of, for example, shellac (say a 1# cut) will serve this purpose. Often, just thinning whatever you plan to use as a finish coat can work, too.

glenn bradley
09-27-2010, 6:01 PM
I use a 1# cut of clear dewaxed shellac with great success. Charles is water cleanup so that could be a plus for some folks.

Kent A Bathurst
09-29-2010, 6:45 AM
I use a 1# cut of clear dewaxed shellac with great success. Charles is water cleanup so that could be a plus for some folks.

+1. I always have some in an 8oz squeeze bottle, and a padding cloth sealed in a half-pint mason jar. And another squeeze bottle with DA to pre-load the pad. Always ready to go, and there isn't any clean up to worry about.

By padding on a thin layer of 1# - 1.5#, the first strokes are pretty much dry by the time you get to the last stroke.

Have a few brushes also - the neat thing about a dedicated shellac brush is that you just straighten any wayward fibers, and put it on the shelf to dry/harden. Few minutes in DA and the hardened shellac dissolves. [Also have a cottage cheese container with "dirty DA" in it for soaking the brushes].

Brian Loucks
09-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Works great on maple and pine

Dan O'Sullivan
10-15-2010, 9:03 PM
Have a few brushes also - the neat thing about a dedicated shellac brush is that you just straighten any wayward fibers, and put it on the shelf to dry/harden. Few minutes in DA and the hardened shellac dissolves. [Also have a cottage cheese container with "dirty DA" in it for soaking the brushes].

I too use this method but I have introduced cleaning with an ammonia solution to keep the china bristles soft and the shellac flowing. I like cleaning with ammonia a little better than just soaking in DA.

Might be worth giving it a try?
dan