PDA

View Full Version : good deal on a minimax FS-350?

mreza Salav
09-27-2010, 4:32 PM
I have a chance to get a used minimax FS-350 jointer/planer combo.
Assuming that it is in good shape and comes with an extra set of knives, and
assuming i have to pay around $750 extra to ship it to my shop in Canada, how much would be a good deal on the unit?
All I could find is that they used to sell (new) for about $5.5k is that correct?

michael case
09-27-2010, 6:26 PM
$750.00 to ship it wow!

www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop... -

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2010, 7:41 PM
Mreza, if it's in good shape, I'd say it's worth half price.

You would have to pay shipping on a new machine, just like an old machine.

Regards, Rod.

Ian Wormsbecker
09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Is the FS-350 the same as the FS-30 Smart? Perhaps the Smart has a few more features as it seems a bit newer? Maybe just the Tersa option?

I bought an older FS-350 (or FS-31 or FS-35 or something similar, the yellow one :) ) about a year ago including the mortising attachment (which is much improved on the Smart) for $1400 used.

Ian.

mreza Salav
09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Is the FS-350 the same as the FS-30 Smart? Perhaps the Smart has a few more features as it seems a bit newer? Maybe just the Tersa option?

I bought an older FS-350 (or FS-31 or FS-35 or something similar, the yellow one :) ) about a year ago including the mortising attachment (which is much improved on the Smart) for $1400 used.

Ian.

Wow, that's a really good deal you found. Then this one I've found isn't as attractive anymore. Problem is around Edmonton I don't find many good used tools (let alone European models) to begin with.

FS-350 I think is the following model:
http://sawsndust.com/r-fs350-page1.shtm
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4760

I was hoping some of the owners of this specific model would give their advice of what a fair used price is (I am not sure what the new model would have had cost).

Jim Becker
09-28-2010, 9:55 PM
mreza, what the machine is worth paying for is going to be related to both its condition and what generation of machine it is. Mine, that you linked to, is the FS350 that came just before the FS35 was released, and has the Tersa cutter head and parallelogram table design. Over the years (older than mine) there were other versions of the same machine...the "350" in the name refers to the width of the cut/knives in mm. I got a closeout deal on mine back when I bought it back in late 2003. Let's just say it was just under $4K which was a healthy discount off "list". I offer you that information in hope that it will help you relative to the one you are looking at.

If the unit you are considering is white with blue trim, it's probably of similar vintage. If it's yellow, it's older and probably doesn't have the Tersa cutter head.

mreza Salav
09-28-2010, 11:01 PM
thanks Jim. here is the picture I have got from the seller.
She says it's for her (late?) husband and is about 8-9 years old and comes with two extra sets of knives and a mobility base.

She says the model is FS-350 but doesn't know much more about the details; for example I cannot find out if it has the Tersa cutter heads. She is asking $2200 for it. I guess it's close to the half mark of list.

Ian Wormsbecker
09-29-2010, 11:06 AM
For $2200 I would strongly consider it. I would ask her if there is a mortising attachment for it. She may not know what it is, so you might have to help her out a bit.

If there isn't a mortiser with it, I personally would check if you can buy a new mortising attachment for it and make it fit. I _think_ you can, but I would double check. I think the mounting is unchanged, even from my generation of machine.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about tersa vs non-tersa cutterhead. You are generally into hobby woodworking from what I gather, so 5 minute blade changes are probably not needed? You seem to be quite capable of setting up 3 blades accurately :) Tersa blades are also more expensive and cannot be sharpened.

A new machine of that calibre will set you back at least $5k here in Canada once you toss in CSA certification, mobile base, etc..

My machine is the older generation yellow one. It also had it's motor converted from 3phase at some point. The manual that came with it was typewritten and photocopied :) Not totally sure the age of it, but definitely older than the one you are looking at.

I am off to the woodstock show this weekend, so if you PM me I can see what the 'show deal' is on the Hammer version of that machine.

Cheers

Ian

Jim Becker
10-03-2010, 11:33 AM
thanks Jim. here is the picture I have got from the seller.
She says it's for her (late?) husband and is about 8-9 years old and comes with two extra sets of knives and a mobility base.

She says the model is FS-350 but doesn't know much more about the details; for example I cannot find out if it has the Tersa cutter heads. She is asking $2200 for it. I guess it's close to the half mark of list.

Yes, that's the same version I have. Judging from the photo, it looks to be in nice shape and I would be very surprised if it didn't have the Tersa head. Good machine, IMHO...I love mine!

One thing to know is that the fence rides on a round mounting structure that goes out to the back when the fence is moved toward "the wall". that means you cannot put the machine against the wall as you need clearance for that post as it moves back. Also, the mortiser, if it comes with or you choose to get it, attaches to the back of the machine, unlike with the newer FS-35 where it mounts on the front. That means for mortiser use, the machine will need to either live more centrally in the shop or be moved out for that operation. Not a "negative", per se, but something to know about for planning purposes. For the record, I don't have the mortiser.

mreza Salav
10-03-2010, 4:16 PM
Thanks Jim for the update.
I'll take a serious look at it and see if I can arrange shipping it.