PDA

View Full Version : OK Architect Rant

Scott Coffelt
12-18-2004, 8:24 PM
OK, so I go in Thursday to pick up the final plans (yeah right) for the new house and shop. No time Thursday night or Firday to review. So finally today, LOML and I are looking through them. Talk about no attention to detail.

Late last week we relined the final copy. I had a 36" door in the side of the garage and a chimney on that copy. So today guess what, now there's a window and no chimney. To add, we talked about widening an opening for the walk in shower, so they open it but narrow another area to 18". For the money this place charges I little more attention ot the details. I still owe about $600 and that won't get paid until the fix their mistakes. I don't know how many times we would talk and write something down to only have to write it down again the next time.

I feel sorry for some poor souls who do not know what to look for.

Howard Norman
12-18-2004, 8:43 PM
I had a similar experience about nine years ago.

Howard

Ken Garlock
12-18-2004, 9:02 PM
Scott, I would start asking to talk to the owner of the firm. Or, write him a letter listing the problems you have had and with whom.

When we went through the house building effort in '02, we had a set of plans that I had modified from a plan on the internet. We took them to a recommended architect for translation into a real set of blue prints, and after 3 reviews/discussions, 2 to 3 weeks apart, we had plans. The man worked out of his home, and did a good job for us, and it was somewhere around $3200.

Sometimes you need to explain to them who the customer is :rolleyes:

Illegitimus non carborundum :(

Scott Coffelt
12-18-2004, 10:41 PM
It was the owner, that's the problem and he came via recommendation. It will get taken care of, but the fact that after $3.5k you would think they would have some focus on the detail. Not that it will delay me any, I hope, but now Monday I get to goback over there and get the crud straightened out. Geez.

Ted Calver
12-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Scott,
Help them "remember" and document your requirements at the same time by sending them an e-mail/letter following each meeting itemizing the changes discussed and expected. If the architect or designer is not the person actually preparing your plans, request that the preparer join your meetings. You are paying for professional services and should receive a professional product.
Ted

Mark Singer
12-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Its a common problem....My wife has often had problems with her architect...I think he is a great guy....not much of a dancer, but enjoys a beer or a good movie...:rolleyes:

Paul B. Cresti
12-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Its a common problem....My wife has often had problems with her architect...I think he is a great guy....not much of a dancer, but enjoys a beer or a good movie...:rolleyes:
Mark,
WOW we must be using the same Architect! I think mine is a pretty good too but, my wife thinks he is too slow and easily gets distracted and can never seem to really finish a project. I keep telling her that he is a true craftsman/artist and that caliber of work takes time and extra thought.

Jim Becker
12-18-2004, 11:21 PM
What a coincience...both of the architects I happen to know are using the same architect for their own work! Wow! :D

Scott...sorry to hear of those little detail issues. How frustrating is easy to understand! (And it would drive me nuts being an anal person to begin with...)

Randy Moore
12-19-2004, 7:14 AM
Scott,

Tell them that you are paying their wages for this job and remind them that you are the boss. It was also said, by Ted to follow up every conversation or meeting with a letter or e-mail. They think they know what you should have or need but pay no attention to what you tell them. Also let them know that there is other architects in town that could possibly do better.
I am in the construction industry here in the Kansas City area and some of these architects heads are not on the same planet as you and me. I yearn for the days when people would pay attention to what you said and wanted, then would deliver the goods and ON TIME
Randy

Scott Coffelt
12-19-2004, 9:03 PM
Well, hopefully tomorrow it goes smoothly, I expect it will but if it doesn't I'll just bring in the copies I have which show the changes.

Of course, if the Mark Singer character was in this town, I am sure he would have got my work.... thought from what his wife says.... might of had to rethink that one :D .