PDA

View Full Version : Best Deck Finish

robert raess
09-27-2010, 2:04 PM
I have a redwood deck, that i'm finishing for a customer.On my own projects i use Sikkens and am very happy with it thru the years.
However, the customer wants two things that the Sikkens doesn't provide.
1.Clear..all Sikkens has some color/tint
2.No sheen..I personally like the sheen of Sikkens, but he wants just the wood to show with no gloss at all.
Herein lies my dilemma :I don't know of a good semi-transparent deck finish, that gives you more than a year of protection.
One more point:I live in the mountains of AZ., a mile high with UV protection an important issue. thanks for the help.. rob

David Helm
09-27-2010, 5:02 PM
Your post tells it all. Whatever you use will degrade rapidly due to UV exposure. In my location, the Redwood decks I have built all went without coatings. Horizontal surface coatings disappear rapidly.

Lloyd McKinlay
09-27-2010, 5:30 PM
A clear deck coating doesn't provide UV protection. The best UV inhibitors are trans iron oxides which will impart a reddish color. The more UV inhibitor the darker the color. Sikkens deck care products are great, does the SRD form a film? Another good product is Wolman F&P, and it doesn't form a film so no sheen.

Joe Von Kaenel
09-29-2010, 2:29 PM
Robert,

Check with http://www.onetimewood.com/. They make an outstanding product. I Used it on my deck 3 years ago and it looks like I just applied the stuff. They can help you find a dealer in your area.

Joe