View Full Version : Rosewood Hollow Form

Grant Wilkinson
09-27-2010, 1:49 PM
This is my first hollow form - completed with the able assistance and direction of Bill Grumbine during my recent 2-day session with him.

I glued this up from two pieces of Honduran Rosewood that I was given.

Finish is tung oil, allowed to dry, then buffed.

bob svoboda
09-27-2010, 2:33 PM
Grant, that is a very nice HF especially considering it is a first. Nicely done!

Sean Hughto
09-27-2010, 2:56 PM
Very rich looking. Doesn't look like a first effort to me; musta been a heavy dose of beginner's luck.:);)

Michael James
09-27-2010, 3:00 PM
I love rosewood and I love that HF. Good job, keep em coming!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 3:04 PM
Good first one Grant, now the second one all by yourself, good luck ;-)))

John Keeton
09-27-2010, 3:51 PM
Grant, obviously time and money well spent!! Very nice form, and beautiful wood.

Richard Madden
09-27-2010, 4:06 PM
Grant, I think maybe you're spoofing us. First one? Great job, hang on to that one.:cool:

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2010, 4:16 PM
Grant - congrats on your first hollow form! Nice form - beautiful wood and finish!

Congrats also on being able to take a 2 day class with Bill Grumbine! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

David DeCristoforo
09-27-2010, 4:40 PM
Fantastic first! Plus I love rosewood...

Grant Wilkinson
09-27-2010, 5:07 PM
Thanks very much to all of you.

Sean: A HUGE dose of beginner's luck, along with a patient and firm hand from Bill.

Leo: This one was nerve wracking. I'm not used to turning when I cannot see the end of the tool. I'll need all the luck I can get on the next one. I need tools first, though. :-)

Richard: I promise - no spoof. :-) I've only done about a dozen bowls in total not counting the ones that I've orbited. I wanted to push my comfort level with Bill this time, and this one sure did that.

Steve: It's a fast two days, for sure. We did only three pieces, a winged bowl, a deep vase and this one. For me, it was well worth the 15 hours of driving.

Thanks again to all of your for your kind words.

Mark Hubl
09-27-2010, 5:18 PM
Congrats on your first one. And, a job well done for sure. Looks nice.

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 7:23 PM
Really nice work. The form looks great, and the wood is so rich looking. Great job!

Baxter Smith
09-27-2010, 7:47 PM
Looks very nice. Must have been a great couple of days!

Allen Neighbors
09-27-2010, 9:42 PM
Great form, and after putting two chunks together, it's really special, and then, because it's your first... Blue Ribbon! Nice work. You lucky outfit! Gettin' to meet and turn with Bill G! Awesome! :D

Grant Wilkinson
09-28-2010, 8:45 AM
Thanks much, guys.

It is a hoot playing with Bill. I went to him the first time about 3 years ago to learn the basics. Unfortunately, I've not turned much since then, so I was rusty when I went back. I wanted to do more than just the basics this time, so we did a winged bowl, a vase and this hollow form. Now, I just need to practice, practice, practice.