PDA

View Full Version : So what makes a good finial?

Mike Willeson
09-27-2010, 1:27 PM
I see a lot of different finials and lots of questions and discussion about them as they are posted.

I would like to hear opinions on what makes a good finial? Is it just a feeling you have when you see one compared to the form it is placed on or do you have guidelines of what you are trying to accomplish when making one?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Mike

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 1:32 PM
I think it's a matter of personal taste, but in general, proportions are the most important thing to me. A well proportioned finial must relate well to the form it adorns, and the elements of the finial must well proportioned in relationship to one another. Of course, proportions are fairly subjective so...

John Keeton
09-27-2010, 1:59 PM
Mike, by definition, a finial is "an ornamental terminating part." So, it needs to bring finality to a piece.

But, from there, the sky seems to be the limit. Many feel the finial should not overpower the piece and not be the center of attention. However, Cindy Drozda has shown, with her various finial boxes, that it is possible to have a very pleasing turning in which the finial is really the star of the show.

I tend to like embellished finials that add lift to a piece, provide a little extra interest in the way of embellishment, and give the piece more character.

You will get significantly varied responses on this question, I imagine. But, I do think there are certain 'rules' that must be followed - all curves must be 'fair' and pleasant. The proportions within the finial must be pleasing. The finial should be proportionate in size with the turning given what is desired to be accomplished. In some cases, that may mean a much larger finial than would be seen in most situations.

In addition, when a line is drawn coming off the shoulder of the turning, touching each element of the finial, a pleasant curve should be produced. In other words, the projecting elements of the finial should, for the most part, become progressively smaller in a pleasing and proportionate manner.

Curt Fuller
09-27-2010, 7:13 PM
Is it just a feeling you have when you see one compared to the form it is placed on

I think that pretty well nails it. If it looks good to you, it's a good finial.

Scott Hackler
09-27-2010, 9:50 PM
In my search for the best lines and proportions on a finial, I have studied many finials created by other people. In my studies I make a mental note of the ones I like and try to determine why I like those. Was it the individual elements or the curves or the over all balance of the entire finial..... ? It is somewhat personal but there are very universal elements to all finials to form a pleasing shape. For example; I have studied Cindy D's forms a lot and even though I like her finials... I don't "love them". I have a tendancy to want the finials more dainty and delicate than even her work.

Look at the different finials the have been created and shown on here and decide for yourself what makes one better than the last.

It is also important to realize that the skills to create delicate and well formed finials takes a steady hand and lots of practice.

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 10:32 PM
... For example; I have studied Cindy D's forms a lot and even though I like her finials... I don't "love them". I have a tendancy to want the finials more dainty and delicate than even her work...

I'm glad to see that statement. While her turning skills far exceed anything I've ever even considered, I'm not particularly drawn to a lot of her finials. She's perhaps the best known American turner for finial work, and yet my personal tastes differ. I think that's a great example of just how subjective and varied pleasing form can be.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2010, 2:58 AM
If the "it feels right and looks good" isn't enough, here's something that could help to find some proportion you could use.

It is one of those things I've collected and never even have had a good look at, as my only way has always been, it looks good and feels right to me that I have lived by to decide the how and what/where in the things I turn.

John Keeton
09-28-2010, 6:50 AM
Excellent reference, Leo! This is a good topic and one of interest to a lot of folks.

William Hutchinson
09-28-2010, 6:51 AM
Turning finials and designing them are challenges in themselves. I too am studying the work of other makers. One helpful tool is to print photos and use a Fibonacci gauge (measures golden means) to sort out the proportions. Most of the pleasing forms will be within the limits of the gauge. Finial proportions to form height and/or width often amazingly within golden means. Not really amazing, but the insight of this concept is. For those not studied in design or naturally gifted the relationship of proportions is one handy nugget of info.

However, using formulas alone will get you 'acceptable' work but finding and blending forms to get 'exceptional' results is the art and an elusive beast-for me anyways.

Alan Trout
09-28-2010, 8:20 AM
My taste in finials is a lot like my taste in music. I like a lot of different types of music and can appreciate a lot of different styles of finials. While there is some personal taste involved I can really appreciate the effort to execute a nice well detailed piece.

For me proportions are important but the most important thing to me are the details of the finial. Sloppy tool work will show up worse on fine spindle turning than anything else. Details must be crisp, curves must be smooth with good transitions and they must compliment the shape of the vessel that they adorn. Even if I might not like the "style" of a particular finial I can apply the criteria above and in my mind it could still be considered a "good finial".

Alan

Norm Zax
09-28-2010, 9:08 AM
All of the above and so forth, but when youve exhausted the classical approach, look up Mark Sanger (http://www.marksanger.co.uk/page4.html).

David DeCristoforo
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
This is an easy one. At least for me. A "good" finial is one that doesn't break before I'm done turning it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 12:49 PM
I agree with all and you have gotten some good info. I would say one thing for me and my taste is that a finial should blend in with the piece. Leo I am glad you brought that up. I have that same info some place and is a good reference.