PDA

View Full Version : Mulligan with Finial (and added a redo of redo)

William Hutchinson
09-27-2010, 1:10 PM
I turned this pineapple form a few weeks ago and at the time I liked the shape.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/th_Maple-Burl--HFd-8-10-10.gif (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/Maple-Burl--HFd-8-10-10.gif)

On the shelf above my computer is where it sat and where I could view it everyday. My fondness wore off and back it went for rehab.

Here is the new form with some experimental mix of dyes.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/DoOver1.jpg

From some of the comments, I went back to the lathe and shaved some more off the bulge to the foot making a slight curve. I tried a different color and will wait some to put the final top coat.
Thanks all for the comments and I can see the subtle difference that helped the form.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/DoOverAgain.jpg

Mike Willeson
09-27-2010, 1:23 PM
[QUOTE= My fondness wore off and back it went for rehab.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you created the second picture out of the first? How did you do that? Was the inside left thick until you decided about the shape?

....the end result, however you did, it is a very nice shape. I like it.

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 1:29 PM
I like the rehabilitation. For the record, I liked the original, too.

John Keeton
09-27-2010, 1:50 PM
William, like Mike, I am curious on the process!! I take it you did not hollow it until you made some decisions on the form??

In any event, I like the second version much better than the first, but I think much of that involves the top/finial on the first version being diminutive.

Ray Bell
09-27-2010, 2:22 PM
William, in my humble opinion, I like the second version much better. You say you experimented with several dyes. What type of dyes, and what colors.

William Hutchinson
09-27-2010, 2:25 PM
How did you do that? Was the inside left thick until you decided about the shape?

Mike and John,

I ordered a Monster hollowing system over five weeks ago and was going to complete the inside turning when it arrived. The bottom and sides were sized but the shoulders/top was obviously left thick. I still haven't received the system but with the outside turned to meet the inside it is almost to final thickness.

I ran out of finial material after three exploded while clumsily turning. The small plug was fetched from the floor and fashioned as you see. Since then I have a good supply of material to hack.

William Hutchinson
09-27-2010, 2:36 PM
You say you experimented with several dyes. What type of dyes, and what colors.

The entire pieced was blackened, sanded back and then reapplied to the lower section. Yellow was applied to the top to mid point of the bulge. Orange was then used for the entire piece and then yellow reapplied on the top third. An oil/varnish blend was applied and buffed waxed.

Tim Rinehart
09-27-2010, 2:39 PM
I ran out of finial material after three exploded while clumsily turning. The small plug was fetched from the floor and fashioned as you see. Since then I have a good supply of material to hack.

Oh, how I smiled when I read that...we have to laugh at how we sometimes concentrate so hard...and then things "explode". So true...so true.

I like your final form and finial...great save for otherwise so-so piece. A little more curve down the side (if you had material) would really add in my opinion.

Andrew Kertesz
09-27-2010, 2:47 PM
I like the shape of the second version better, but I think that could be related to the dyes. IMHO they really make the grain pop, the finial also really adds to the piece.

Sean Hughto
09-27-2010, 2:53 PM
I REALLY like the new and improved version. Great stuff.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 3:02 PM
Nice sleek piece now William, the curves in both the form and finial do work very nicely, I wonder if a very slight concave curve in the lower end of the form would make it even more so, yes a very nice transformation that's for sure ;-))

Richard Madden
09-27-2010, 4:26 PM
Wow, what a change. I really like the revised piece and what you did with the dyes. NICE! BTW, what size is it?

Ray Bell
09-27-2010, 4:28 PM
The entire pieced was blackened, sanded back and then reapplied to the lower section. Yellow was applied to the top to mid point of the bulge. Orange was then used for the entire piece and then yellow reapplied on the top third. An oil/varnish blend was applied and buffed waxed.

Thanks William, what type/brand dye did you use?

Mark Hubl
09-27-2010, 5:34 PM
I like the second shape. Looks much more elegant to me and nice job on the finial.

William Hutchinson
09-27-2010, 5:43 PM
Wow, what a change. I really like the revised piece and what you did with the dyes. NICE! BTW, what size is it?

Thanks-- form is 6" x 3.5" and 10" with finial.

Baxter Smith
09-27-2010, 7:49 PM
I like the second one a lot. It all flows together very well!

William Hutchinson
09-28-2010, 5:55 AM
Thanks William, what type/brand dye did you use?

I generally use Transtint and DNA and General Finishes water based dyes. Both dry quickly and are easy to layer/blend. The Transtint will mix with water as well.

Use a scrap of the same material to get the look your after.

Ken Glass
09-28-2010, 8:46 AM
William,
Although, I like the first one, the second one has a wonderful flow from top to bottom and is much more pleasing to the eye. Well Done.

Ray Bell
09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I generally use Transtint and DNA and General Finishes water based dyes. Both dry quickly and are easy to layer/blend. The Transtint will mix with water as well.

Use a scrap of the same material to get the look your after.

Thanks William

David DeCristoforo
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Vast improvement. Hard to grasp that this is the same piece. Well done indeed!