PDA

View Full Version : Router wings for the TS? Opinions?

Bill White
09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I may have to go from a free-standing router center to a router wing for the G0444Z TS. What are your thoughts and observations?
Bill

David Hostetler
09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
A router wing is a GREAT way to save space in your shop. The only drawbacks I see are...

#1. Router wings can offer smaller surface area when compared to a dedicated table. This would depend on design...

#2. Again, depending on design, router wings tend to ignore dust collection. But then again, some don't...

If space is a concern in your shop, and if you are a hobby woodworker chances are excellent that space IS a concern, then a router wing is the way to go.

Jim McFarland
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I switched from stand-alone router table to TS mounted:

Pros

Saves floor space previously required for the stand alone router table
Allows use of the table saw fence for various router operations. I have a Wixey indicator on the fence and this has been very handy in repeating spaced router cuts and adjusting router bit cut position on the material.
Cons

Router dust collection box interferes with right tilt table saw blade adjusting wheel. Not something I do a lot so not a big deal for me -- YRMV!
Sometimes I want to use both TS & router -- bit of a pain when you get the router bit/fence in just the right place and then need to use the table saw.
Lose the storage space/drawers of the stand alone router table -- storing all in the same place is nice -- you'll have to find a new spot to store router bits, templates, etc.
I would probably stick with separate router station if I had the floor space. Using TS fence in router operations was really an unexpected benefit though and, if money wasn't an issue (yeah, right :)) then I'd have both!

Eric DeSilva
09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm using the Bench Dog cast iron wing on the left side of my older Unisaw with a Triton router. While it all works, the router is a little too close to the handles on my saw--I've barked my knuckles a couple times adjusting the router. I can't use the extension on the other side of the saw due to the motor cover. So measure carefully...

Mike Reinholtz
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I used to have a larger stand-alone router table but replaced it with a cast iron Bench dog extension wing and lift, I'd have to say it was one of the best changes I've made to my garage setup. It's mounted to a 1940s Unisaw, combined weight I would say is over 500 lbs, making it just as rock solid as my shaper. I also got back quite a bit of floor space.

I also installed the Rockler dust bucket and use a shop-made fence with a 4" dust port, combined together and I can do quite a bit of work on it with minimal clean up if any.

Some folks don't like the extensions because the fence usually clamps to the TS fence, so if you need to make more cuts you have to reposition both fences. So far I haven't had any problems with this.

Lee Schierer
09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I wish my router was mounted in a wing so I could use the crosscut guide and fence from the saw instead of the home made ones.

David Hostetler
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Others have mentioned proximity to the motor / main saw housing. I should elaborate on my setup. I have the Ryobi BT3100 with the wide table kit (72" right rip capacity), and a shop made router wing. My router is far enough away from the main body of the saw that I have a 12 gallon Ridgid Vac, AND a 20 gallon trash can cyclone under there, and STILL have plenty of room for my Hitachi KM12VC. The point about storage for bits and accessories is valid. I have mine hung from the wall right behind where I would stand when using the router. It works REALLY well for me in this configuration.

glenn bradley
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I started with an extension wing on a contractor saw with much success. I added a dust container below and the added weight called for leg supports. The footprint was now of a size where I could build a cabinet underneath for better support and bit storage.

All that being said have you considered positioning your current router station next to your tablesaw and aligning the tops to make it one sawing/routing station? My router table top is bolted to my tablesaw (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=116265&d=1240354720) but in essence it is a stand alone cabinet.

Charles Goodnight
09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
My router is mounted on the right side extension wing of my saw. I have long rails with both a cast iron wing and an extension table on the right. I mounted the router in the extension table. It is far enough from the saw that it really doesn't interfere, and if I am doing small stuff I can use the fence as a partition and have both tools set up at the same time (USING both at the same time? Probably not a good idea ;) ). I think a free standing table would be more convenient, but not worth the space.

Cary Falk
09-27-2010, 3:08 PM
I really hate having to share functions on one tool. The minute I tear down one setup I find one more piece the I forgot to mill with that setup

Curt Harms
09-28-2010, 7:46 AM
consider making a second fence for the router. I did that and can leave the TS fence set and still use the router table. I have a wing with less than 30" to the right of the blade and with the router fence in place can still rip about 14". The thing with router table fences is they don't have to be dead-nuts parallel like a T.S. fence. I'm happy with mine.

Doug Carpenter
09-28-2010, 8:28 AM
I have my router mounted in my tablesaw wing as well.

It is a much needed space saver for those of us with limited space.

It is a P.I.T.A. as well because I always seem to need to use the table saw when everything is set up for the router table too.

I supose the best I could do is to have a second beismeyer fence. That would be costly but as long as what I needed to cut is too big big it would work.

Chip Lindley
09-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Might as well let that TS wing do double duty! Shop space is always at a premium. I have a 50" fence and aux. table on my PM66, with the big P-C 7518 mounted in a MastRlift. My router fence is an extra PM AccuFence. I love the setup!

The pic was still in the embryo stage, but gives you a general idea: