PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2010, 8:21 AM
27 Sep 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

Woke up this morning to a fine 52º F and loving every minute of it. No more heat wave and the A/C unit finally gets a rest. This means that its time for me to start getting busy around the shop as I have a few projects I need to get done.

Still working on the re-upholstery of my Great Grandmother's old rocker. I hope to have it done in time for the next weekend accomplishments. (I hope.)

No woodworking this past weekend. Just work at the day job and then working with my boys on their school work. Bass playing at church yesterday and then rest for what was left of the night.

Motorcycle ride to a local state park today with the LOML, the LOML Jr and her boyfriend...to include a picnic lunch on top of the mountain at Mt. Nebo State Park. After that, it will be over to Mark Cothren's shop tonight to help him with aligning his tablesaw and then some talk time, then it will be back home and punching in to work for a bit.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend.???

Best of weeks to you all.

John Lytle
09-27-2010, 8:35 AM
#2 son and I kicked the cars out of the garage (again) and tried to get a bit closer to completion on our respective projects. He was staining the mohangony on his game table and I had the workbench for chopping half-blind dovetails for LOMLs Shaker Sewing Desk.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/jflytle/0fb1ea19.jpg

On the right is my sons game table. Middle is the sewing desk I am building out. and on the left you will see the job lights heating up the other top wing for my sons table. It was a bit cool yesterday (56deg high) so we had to help the stain a bit.

I got all the side/back combos dovetailed and laid out the half blinds on the 12 drawer fronts. Only got 1 chopped out though.

Heading to WIA in Cincy this coming weekend so have to hope for good weather the following weekend. Times running out.

So what did you do this past weekend.

John

Jerome Hanby
09-27-2010, 8:39 AM
Cheered the Tide past the Razorbacks, but couldn't help SC (or as I generally refer to them, whatever team is playing Auburn). Only "woodworking" I accomplished was some corrective surgery to the kitchen so our fridge would fit in it's cubby hole. Still have to find a stick of this small crown molding to match the existing, no luck at the blue borg... I did use my Japanese style pull saw (Shark). Was having some problems trying to use the coarse cut side. Flipped it over to the fine side, and WOW, what a great cut and perfectly straight! I might get to like these handsaws after all. Just dumb luck, but the Create channel played the old Irish Table episode of the NYWS and turns out that table is exactly what I need for the kitchen. Thinking Ambrosia Maple top and Walnut for everything else. May finally have an excuse to use that Mortise Pal a fellow creeker sold me for a great price! Got the new shop (garage) measured and plugged into Visio and started trying to plan. I've got to get some tool refurbs finished and get new homes for the current models! Thought I might have a lead on some wire for running my sub-panel, but it turned out to be AL instead of CU. Found out I can rent a scissor lift locally and if I let them drop it off on a Friday and pick it up the next Monday, then it only counts as a one day rental! So once I get the shop somewhat organized, I'm going to get one of those bad boys and get my shop lighted hung from the cathedral like ceiling!

Matt Meiser
09-27-2010, 8:43 AM
Saturday we finished re-landscaping about 1/2 way around our house. When we moved in we put in lava rock which was a big maintenance headache. 2 years ago we ripped out 1/2 of it and this year we did the rest. We also ripped out most of the existing bushes as they were seriously overgrown. We finished up with a couple trailer-fulls of mulch. We also cleared out the bush that was where our new heat pump will be going in a couple weeks. Since its a lot bigger than our old AC unit, it has to go in a different place.

Saturday night I cooked a nice dinner for LOML and I to give the gas stove a workout. Lamb chops with rosemary red wine sauce, broiled asparagus with balsamic glaze and a rice pilaf. Mmmm.

In the shop, I finally got a chance to really try out the HVLP turbine system I bought from a friend this summer, spraying the trim for my parents' kitchen. I will get it done before one year is up! :o I really like the way the turbine sprays vs. my conversion guns. And I installed the outdoor temperature sensor for the thermostat I installed out there a few weeks ago.

glenn bradley
09-27-2010, 8:50 AM
About 3 hours of shop time. The rest was spent doing for others which we all should do when we can. I am planning on being a shop hermit next weekend to make up for lost time.

Steve Wurster
09-27-2010, 9:31 AM
Well, not that bad!

Yesterday after lunch I applied some BLO to a project I've been finishing. I left the rag I used wrapped up in a paper bowl covered by another rag. In the middle of the evening the wife and I got a really strong oil smell coming from the basement shop. I went down to check thinking maybe I left the container open or one of the cats knocked something over. The outer rag was wet and warm to the touch. Hmmm, something's going on here!

I took the rags into the laundry room and rinsed them thoroughly. The application rag was *very* warm and was completely black on the inside. It actually crackled as the cold water ran over it. I placed the soaked rags into an old Tupperware container full of water.

Thankfully we were home and in a spot where the smell would reach us. And thankfully I went down to check when I did. Who knows how much longer it would have taken before it caught fire. So, crisis averted! That's the last time I leave the rags like that!

-Steve

David Helm
09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Did my first actual woodworking since rebuilding my shop. Got started on a live edge desk top for my wife. It is, in my opinion, a beautiful piece of Western Big Leaf Maple (native here) with lots of figure. Got the piece prety well surfaced yesterday and today a pick up some 2 part epoxy to mix with wood flour to fill the checks and knot hole. Here are some pictures.

Jacob Mac
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with my wife. Other than that, I jut did some yard work.

Jeremy Greiner
09-27-2010, 3:46 PM
I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with my wife. Other than that, I jut did some yard work.
10 Years congratulations!

I finished my cabinet project for the conference room in my office. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=148999 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=148999)

Looking back, I should have made my second project something simpler, but I survived and it functions well and at least it's flat and level.

-jeremy

Shawn Pixley
09-27-2010, 9:38 PM
Spent Friday with my son's orientation for audio engineering school. Saturday was spent evaluating termite damage and demo-ing the floor. Sunday was completing a box project and tray I have been working on. I'll post pictures in the projects forum later.