PDA

View Full Version : drying HF

Dahl Troy Perry
09-27-2010, 7:24 AM
Ok I have the drying of bowls in dna. How do you do HF you can't cut them out you would louse meat needed to keep chatter down?
So how do you find a happy medium. To keep the worpage down??

David E Keller
09-27-2010, 9:11 AM
I rough 'em out leaving 5/8 to 1" of thickness then DNA just like bowls. I do get a little chatter when returning but light cuts will get the job done.

Tim Rinehart
09-27-2010, 9:16 AM
I also add a couple of hose-clamps to the ends, you need to leave a good cylindrical surface to clamp on. I just learned this from a local club member who found it helps keep the unstable pith from cracking everything else.

You do need to tighten the clamp about every day or so to keep it tight while drying.

I like the end grain turning, and also that the distortion isn't quite as bad from shrinkage, regardless of whether you rough turn or not.

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Dahl - I generally follow the 10% rule just like for bowls. The only difference is that I give the blank additional time to dry out because there is such a small area open to outside air - unlike a bowl.

Good luck with it!

Rob Cunningham
09-27-2010, 1:02 PM
I do the same as Steve.

Dahl Troy Perry
09-27-2010, 6:23 PM
Thanks guys I've made a hollowing rig patterned after the Jamison rig now ready to rough out some HF from the little that I've used it boy it takes all the work out of cutting the inside starting to get more fun. If I could just get the bowl gouge conquered.

charlie knighton
09-27-2010, 7:15 PM
Dahl,

i generally turn wood that is less than 25% mositure reading, which is fine for hf, not so good for bowls

for oak, i leave in cardboard barrel for at least 4 months

other woods seem to age in the woodpile

i just turned some green maple which cracked, some of mistakes i made
i sanded green wood maple, should wait til it drys
did not bag in brown paper
did not put in dry shavings
caught myself enjoying watching the wood move, i must admit that we had not had any rain for 30 days or so, and the grass was not growing so needed more highlights in my life
i have been spoiled with oak and mesquite lately and had not turned really green maple lately