View Full Version : Valve stem packing,Coleman lantern

Dave Lehnert
09-27-2010, 12:48 AM
I am restoring an old Colman Lantern. One step is to replace the Valve stem packing. I know Coleman has "Packing" for sale but what is it? Can I go to the hardware store a buy a pack of "Packing"?

Link to directions I am using?


Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2010, 1:01 AM

The packing material is that dark wide band currently centered on the valve stem in that first photo. I suspect it's some kind of soft metal that is somewhat malleable. Because of its distinct size, shape and diameter I suspect you need a Coleman replacement or equivalent. You might check a really good hardware store or outdoor sporting goods store. Here the sporting goods store that sell camping gear will often have Coleman lantern and stove parts.

Good luck!

John alder
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I would guess its a composite with graphite in it.I would definitely get the original replacement for it. A leak near the open flame is NG.JMHO John

Lee Schierer
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm with the others. Get the Coleman packing. If your packing is leaking the lantern valve may become a torch and you won't be able to shut off the gas because of the flames.

Dave Lehnert
09-27-2010, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Will place an order with Coleman.

The Colman lanterns are Kinda fascinating how they work.