PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

Russell Ludwick
09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I finally bought a used machine, getting it updated and running, getting a place to put it, getting my insurance squared away, getting an exhaust blower, building a new computer, and bought coreldraw and learning to use it.

I think within a month or so I should be totally legit to start actually using my machine. When I am finally ready to start making parts where is the best place to get stock to start practicing on?

I know a couple people and shops that will give me some job shop work, but I want to practice with all different materials and throughly learn coreldraw before I start working on actual parts. I will mainly be working with Acrylic, anodized aluminum, glass, ceramic, wood etc. I have an idea for a product that uses 1/16th inch colored acrylic, does anyone know of a supplier of this material?

Are there any materials I should just absolutely stay away from? I know PVC is absolutely out of the question, and I heard polycarbonate wasn't good either.

Any help with where to buy practice material, or some good starting points for learning how the engraver works would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any patented laser products that you just cannot do, such as laser engraving cigars etc?

Mike Null
09-27-2010, 7:19 AM
For practice material check your yellow pages for plastics distributors as they often sell their off cuts by the pound at pretty good prices.

Both Johnson Plastics and JDS will provide samples once you're signed on as a customer. Try TAP and Delvies.

HD has low priced acrylic which you can use to make give away type things while you practice.

Michael Hunter
09-27-2010, 8:33 AM
"throughly learn coreldraw before I start working" - Right : you really have a year or three to spare before you start work?
People who have been using Corel for years still find new tricks and better ways!
Best to learn "on the job", otherwise you may end up with pretty drawings which don't engrave or cut well.

Apart from PVC which eats lasers, avoid PTFE and remember that almost all organic materials (including wood and acrylic) give off poisonous/carcinogenic/generally horrible fumes, so make sure your extraction system works well.

Engraving bricks for donor walls and engraving denim cloth both have patents which are pursued strongly. It is not clear whether the patents would actually stand in court, but you don't want to be tied up with legalities so they are not services that you would want to advertise.

Keep clear of logos and trademarks (well known or not) for your own work and if asked to do them, make sure the person asking has the right to use them and get a waiver on paper to the effect that they take responsibilty.

Lastly HAVE FUN

Martin Boekers
09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Is there any patented laser products that you just cannot do, such as laser engraving cigars etc?

And actually your right, there is a patented process for cigars!

Mike's right about acrylic, you can get off-fall odd cuts etc from local places.

When you Sign in with JDS, they also have on there website, discounts
on "irregular cuts" not a bad deal.

You'll also find that you be engraving anything and everything you come across.
for awhile:D

The dollar stores, Garden Ridge, Walmart etc. are good for glassware.

Lumber yards are good for off-fall too.

One thing I and many others recommend is to start at the first post
in this forum and read each one. This was invaluble when I started with lasers.

Marty

Robert Walters
09-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Lynda.com has CorelDRAW video tutorials that I thought were very helpful.

They have some sample videos you can look at before buying.

http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=32

Russell Ludwick
09-27-2010, 2:13 PM
Thanks guys.

I will definitely check out those tutorials while getting some baseline knowledge of corel. I definitely agree though that learning on the job will be much easier.

Getting the irregular cuts from the lumber yards and plastic suppliers is a good tip and I will definitely be hitting them up. Is there any types of wood and plastic which is preffered for engraving, i know some of them that I should stay away from.

If im really desperate though, can I just go buy some wood at home depot or somewhere to practice on, or should it be a special kind of wood?

Ill sign up for those sites as well, Ill probably end up buying some stuff from laserbits, johnsons plastics, JDS just to try out some wood, anodized aluminum sheets, keychains, and some awards. Lastly, Im just going to try and engrave just about everything I own too.

Martin Boekers
09-27-2010, 2:47 PM
There is a fellow Creeker that sell wood, I do believe he has assortments
so that you can try out different types and see what you like to cut.

Dee Gallo
09-27-2010, 3:29 PM
Lastly, Im just going to try and engrave just about everything I own too.

haha Join the club... Everyone can vouch for the fact that your brain starts to think "I wonder how this would laser..." every time you see something.

We have probably got examples of everything possible somewhere on this forum.. you just need to read the jillions of threads. They are a lot of fun and educational too!

Have fun, dee

Jim Coffee
09-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I am going to give an answer that goes down a different path.

I think that you can test and practice on all different kinds of stuff. It's almost infinite.

In my opinion you instead need to (a) Follow a passion that you have, and (b) Invest your time in Marketing.

Instead of trying to engrave on everything engraveable, try marketing in all possible ways. Find a type(s) of marketing that you are comfortable with. This is the most important thing. Your product line will follow. Personally I think finding a niche is a real good way to go. Stay very focused. Learn to market. Learn Corel.