PDA

View Full Version : electrical panel size

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2004, 7:06 PM
Good evening.

I'm about to leave on a fact finding tour, and thought I'd see if You all could give me some ideas. Not buying tonight, but I've found what appears to be a good deal on a GE 200 amp panel to put in my shop rehab, and want to make sure I get what I need. I plan on having 5-220 circuits and 6-110 circuits. On the 220, a dedicated line for each: DC, Compressor, and AC/Heat unit. Then 2 220 circuits that each will power 2 items, but never at the same time...TS and DP on one, and BS and an extra on the other.
110 circuits for electrical outlets and lights, 3 for each with hopefully some room for expansion.
So tell me what to look for. I saw this GE unit, I think it said 16 circuits, 32 spaces? Does that sound right? I can't take it back, but appears to be new. Sealed up with none open to look at.
Thanks for your help. I'm gone to see if I can find one at HD that is similar so I can tell if it is a good deal or not. Jim.

peter kolb
12-18-2004, 7:17 PM
the 32 space panel would suit my needs. I have a 1200 sq ft shop and I
used 26 spaces. Personally, I woould not double up on the 220V circuits.
peter in nj

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2004, 8:13 PM
Thanks Peter. I see now that 16 1" will fit, or 32 1/2" breakers will fit, or combinations of each. I think I'll see if it is still available in the morning when they open at 8:00. Thanks! Jim.

Ken Garlock
12-18-2004, 9:10 PM
Jim, while you are looking, give a look to the Square-D "Q" series panel. We have 4 of them, two 200 amp at the house, and a 200 amp and 100amp sub in the shop. (ran out of slots in the 200.) The only brand our electrican will use.

Rob Russell
12-19-2004, 8:13 AM
Jim,

IMO, the reason the panel is a "good deal", is because it's small. You really want to avoid the 1/2-size breakers if you can. They are more expensive than standard breakers, IIRC.

Based on your circuits, you are starting with 16 slots. You really want to have a dozen or so slots open for future use. That means either a 28 or 32 slot panel. The cost difference between the smaller and larger panels is peanuts compared to everything else we spend money. Go with a larger panel and be done with it.

If the 16 slot GE's are a really FABULOUS price, get 2 and install them side by side (1 as a sub off of the other). This would allow you to put all your machinery circuits in 1 sub with a lock so you could kill all your machinery circuits and leave the lights and 120v circuits powered. Just an idea if kids/safety is something of a concern.

I do agree with Ken's comment about Square D. It's better than the GE, but pricier too. FWIW, our house is all GE panels, but that's mostly because I already had a GE subpanel in when we upgraded to 200 amp and I didn't want to toss all of my GE breakers etc. just to upgrade to SqD.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2004, 8:59 AM
Jim.....I just put a Square D "QO" series 200 amp panel in my new shop. I caught it on sale at HD about $30 off their normal list price and below what I could get it at the local distributor. Excellent panel. I work in the medical electronics business and a large number of the panels I see at the different hospitals and clinics were Square D. PS...I work for GE. If you can, go to one of the Borgs and get some help. Install a couple of breakers in each panel you're considering....wiggle them see how they fit. I personally will not have aluminum in my shop or house. In some of the cheaper panels the "busses" are aluminum or coated aluminum and that eliminated them from my list of potential panels. I'm sure some will counter that todays fixtures, wire, coatings and panels, etc., with aluminum are better than yester-years but.......we lived in a brand new trailer for about a year while stationed in Mississippi while in the Navy. 3 months after we moved into base housing, the trailer, our previous residence, burned to the ground caused by an electrical fire. I repeat....I will not have aluminum in any form in my house or shop.

Dave Moran
12-19-2004, 9:16 AM
Jim, A big thing to keep in mind on a breaker panel is what type breakers are available locally. You don't want to have to wait to add one if needed or be stuck on the rare times one actually fails. If memory serves me GE panel boxes won't accept Square D but I think some C-H will.
Also on Square D there is the QC and the Homelite again not interchangeable.

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Jim, A big thing to keep in mind on a breaker panel is what type breakers are available locally. You don't want to have to wait to add one if needed or be stuck on the rare times one actually fails. If memory serves me GE panel boxes won't accept Square D but I think some C-H will.
Also on Square D there is the QC and the Homelite again not interchangeable.

Dave, that's a good point. HD does carry the GE units. In fact, the deal I was going after was at a HD that moved to a new location. They had a 75% off today at the old store. I figured if the panel was still there (it wasn't) that for $25.00 I couldn't go wrong. Oh well, I guess you would call that a missed gloat.I was able to pick up some low voltage recessed can lights that should work over my work areas/bench in the shop. Also, a goose neck desk lamp that I'll try to put a magnetic base on, or other mount, and a screw on desk task light. Several rolls of wire-14 g speaker, and 4 50' landscape wire pkgs. But man, was it a madhouse! Most everyone was pretty good about things, didn't see any tempers flare, so that was good. Thanks for the help and info. As always, this is the place to seek and find answers! Jim.

Rob Russell
12-19-2004, 9:08 PM
Jim,

FYI, if you're concerned about a breaker going bad at a really inopportube time, by a spare of the most critical sizes. It's not likely that GE or SqD will stop making breakers to fit your panel, but it may be really handy to have that spare 15 or 20 amp breaker if you really do have one go bad on you. Shelving a spare GFI could run into a bit more $ - I'd suggest using a GFI receptacle to protect any circuits of you need to.

Rob

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2004, 9:35 PM
I will look for a box with a 20/40 setup. Since the 25.00 box will probably never come my way again, I'll plan to get one I can grow into. I would only have bought it because of the price, and if it would have been adequate for the situation, thus my question to all of you. Since I'm not at the point of wiring yet (have a long way to go before I get there), I'll keep a lookout for a good deal on a better panel. One of my clients owns a lighting and electrical service. I'll give him a ring to see what he has. Thanks again! Jim.