PDA

View Full Version : Steamer Trunk Hardware Question

John Hartman
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm getting ready to install the Rockler steamer trunk hardware and I found the corner pieces don't fit very well. (See pic)
Does anyone know if it's normal to have to bend the parts to fit?
Thanks for any help.

John

Keith Westfall
09-27-2010, 2:05 AM
Just guessing, looking at the picture - do you need to knock the corner off the trunk? Looks like it might be holding up the corner hardware...

John Hartman
09-27-2010, 8:42 AM
Thanks for your feedback.
The hardware is just resting on the corner for picture purposes.
In this photo the top tab appears to fit pretty well, but the other tabs don't fit well at all. The gap on the tab in the lower part of the picture is the same on the other side.
I think I'll have to bend the tabs in order for them to all fit right, but I was hoping someone could confirm this before I start bending up the hardware.

John

Pat Barry
09-27-2010, 8:45 PM
I tend to agree with Keith. In the Rockler catalog it looks to me like the case has a 1/4 " radius roundover on all the edges. This would carry into the actual corners. Your hardware should fit nicely on the radiused edges and not need any bending whatsoever.

Tom Seaman
09-27-2010, 9:59 PM
Here's a review from the Rockler site, and the editor's note recommending a slight radius for better fit:

Customer Rating: http://images.rockler.com/images/special/Stars40.gif
I am building a steamer trunk using the plans that I purchased at Rockler. I have never used these corner trunk corners before. The lid requires that the corners be modified so as to conform to the less than 90 degree angles on the curved top. These brackets are very sturdy and I am finding it difficult to bend them to fit the corners.

Editor's note: With a style of corner such as this it is common to give the the edges of the box or lid a slight radius to give a better fit.