PDA

View Full Version : ??Now what??

Bruce Volden
09-26-2010, 7:36 PM
Got a phone call this afternoon. Seems an old friend and his wife are parting ways. This old friend gave me his machine in exchange for engraving MANY flintlock rifles for the Lewis / Clark bicentennial. I agreed and engraved LOTSA guns. He called and mentioned I may get a call from his wifes atty. requesting the machine back :eek: !!! Now I have had this machine for well over 6 years and have used the heck out of it!! I did replace the MOBO and servo(s) a time or 2 and the machine is still functional. I have "customized" it a bit to fit my needs. Here's the thing-I could care less about relinquishing the machine after all it's worth dimes on the dollar. I am thinking perhaps I could request payment for services rendered if it comes down to it, or just saying too bad, you knew the agreement. However there is nothing in writing and everything was done with a handshake.

I am NOT getting a lawyer so don't go there. I just wanted to invite feedback from you folks 'cuz actually I think this is a bit off topic and it could be an interesting thread. So.....tell me what you want, what you really really want. I am saddened for their breakup but it does happen.

For the record the machine is an Epilog TT 35 Watt.

Bruce

John Noell
09-26-2010, 7:49 PM
I'd probably ask the friend for a letter stating the deal - and the date when it was agreed upon. If the wife's atty asks for it back, send him the letter and tell him he can sue you if he wants it back. It may be worth his while (on the wife's dime) to threaten you, but it's not likely to be worth his time to do anything more about it.

Dan Hintz
09-26-2010, 7:56 PM
Bruce,

I would suggest putting the deal you two agreed upon in writing and include the number of guns you engraved, itemized for the number of hours you spent on them (pictures are nice here), etc. etc. When the lawyer sees that your cost to engrave those weapons is significantly more than the worth of the machine, as well as the cost required to try and come after you as a third party, he'll drop it. The fact that the transaction happened long before the divorce was even considered helps...

Bruce Volden
09-26-2010, 8:01 PM
John, Dan!! Hadn't thought along those lines but greatly appreciate the input.
I will post more if and when I hear from the partries concerned. Again, I value any and all opinions.

Bruce

Scott Shepherd
09-26-2010, 8:11 PM
JAgain, I value any and all opinions.

Bruce

Is she hot? :D

Might solve all your issues right there ;)

Only kidding, don't answer that! Some lawyer somewhere will find your response :)

Bruce Volden
09-26-2010, 8:58 PM
Scott, in the age of the i-net I know this to be true! But like I stated in the beginning, stuff happens in life, and you never know how it will turn out. I thought this thread would show just another side of how much the world changes. I have tried to contribute to this forum over the years since I have been a member and now have something happening I have never read about here (possibly?) and thought I would share. Bottom line-prison = 3 hots and a cot?

Is she hot?? Well I can't recall, I'm getting old and to me this is more amusing than even thinking about that aspect.

Where was this forum in 1995 when I started out, it would have helped me immensely;)

Bruce

Scott Shepherd
09-26-2010, 9:59 PM
All kidding aside Bruce, how about giving her a call and tell her you just heard the news and you are sorry to hear it. Have a polite conversation letting her know your concerns and how you'd like to make sure your situation is okay.

Rodne Gold
09-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Possesion is 9 points of the law....

I think you need to look at 2 areas , 1:Prescription , if your friend has never asked for payment or acknowledged that you "owe" him for the machine or asked for it back in whatever the prescription period of your state/country is , it has to be presumed it i yours and you can't be prosecuted for any indebitness.

2: Apart from that the fact you are and have been in possesion of the machine for 6 years and have made no payments during that time , and have maintained it etc and that your friend has never asked for it back is indicative that it was indeed a gift or was effectively given to you or was abandoned to you.

I would tell the woman to sue you for it and take her chances. I do not see how an item that was disposed of 6 years ago can now be "claimed" in a divorce - but you never know - odder things happen in USA's courts.

Mike Null
09-27-2010, 7:21 AM
It seems to me the deal struck between you and your friend is binding, paper contract or not.

Scott Challoner
09-27-2010, 9:34 AM
It seems to me the deal struck between you and your friend is binding, paper contract or not.
I agree. You basically had a barter arrangement. If she had a problem with the terms, the time to complain about it was six years ago.

Martin Boekers
09-27-2010, 9:51 AM
Then there is always the storage fees......:D

Marty

Dee Gallo
09-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Then there is always the storage fees......:D

Marty

Yeah, for $200 per month, 6 years adds up, plus the maintenance costs? You could buy another laser for that! Good deal!

:) dee

Robert Walters
09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Storage at $10/day * 365 = $3650 * 6 years = $21900.
Not to mention the maintenance fees at $120/hr plus parts.
Oh, lets not forget the packing and transport fees to "return" it.

Because, that was what was verbally agreed to originally, right?

On a more serious side note though...

The mother inlaw was living in a mobile home and past away. We had a "friend" that was having a hard time, so we offered to let her stay in the MH temporarily till we had it sold. Well, once we had a buyer, we let her know she had to move out within 60 days. She got an attorney and told her that we GAVE her the mobile home. It ended up costing us $24000 to get her out.

Be it friend or family, always get it in writing. No matter what.
Notarized for $10 even better

Jim Good
09-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Her lawyer won't mess with this. Divorces get ugly but even the lawyers will tell their clients they have no chance at getting some of the things they want!

Joe De Medeiros
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
laser engraver, I don't know what your talking about ;)

Larry Bratton
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Forget about it..the attorney is not going to waste his time on this. He will go after profitable stuff, like house, furnishings,cars etc. Plus, I think your in the drivers seat because of the amount of time.."that machine died about 3 years ago and I junked it."

Greg Bednar
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
You only got a call from the wife, you never got a letter from her attorney. The advice of the members regarding your post is worth heeding. Her attorney should be better able to control his client than having her bypass legal channels and calling you directly. If/when/should you get a letter, you might want to consider placing it in this file for safekeeping.

AL Ursich
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Engagement Ring

Wedding Ring

SuffeRing....:eek:

I got my tools in the Divorce.... but I paid dearly....

AL