PDA

View Full Version : my vacuum chuck system

Brent Grooms
09-26-2010, 7:14 PM
I finially got the changes to the wiring done for the lathe and this little bad boy....

My new vacuum chuck system...

Currently I am using http://www.jtturningtools.com/ (http://www.jtturningtools.com/) vacuum chuck hub with a 2-4in coupler and their vacuum adapter and they work perfectly! Right now it can pull 24hg of vacuum and I can finally finish some blanks that I have had on my bench drying.

I also put the first coat of oil on the walnut crotch bowl I asked about... WOW... now to get some good pictures when I get it off the glue block.

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2010, 7:28 PM
Brent - congrats on getting your vac system up and running! You are going to love using it!

Roger Chandler
09-26-2010, 8:48 PM
R-E-A-L Nice!

bob svoboda
09-27-2010, 9:25 AM
Looks like a nice set-up. Believe me, you are going love having it available.

Tony De Masi
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Very nice Brent. That's still on my to do list but I just haven't gotten there yet.

Well done.

Baxter Smith
09-27-2010, 8:00 PM
Very nice Brent. That is my next project. Just bought a used pump and was making a couple of different sized chucks today.

Gary Conklin
09-27-2010, 8:46 PM
Nice setup! Love that cart!

Don Geiger
09-28-2010, 7:49 AM
I was recently at the Texas SWAT meet in Waco and JT had a booth there. They had some really nice looking vacuum accessories. I bought a sealed bearing vacuum adapter that has a male pipe with two O-rings that slips right in to the spindle of my new Robust American Beauty. What a trick solution!

It won't work on my Stubby because of there is an allen head cap screw a small hole drilled into it that holds the handwheel on. The hole is too small for the JT adapter to slip into. I didn't ask the folks at JT if they have anything to fit the Stubby.

I have two vacuum systems in my shop and have been using the type of adapters that have the threaded lamp shade pipe that goes through the spindle. I works OK, but I know it leaks some and it takes longer to mount than the JT.

Way to go JT!!

Don Geiger

Don Geiger
09-28-2010, 7:55 AM
Hi Brent:
That's a nice looking cabinet you built. If you run your pump for very long it could get pretty hot inside a closed cabinet. I've used a lot of vacuum pumps during my career and I've learned to provide some cross ventilation if a pump is enclosed in a housing. A simple louvered vent on one side with a biscuit fan on the the other would provide sufficient cooling.

Don Geiger

I finially got the changes to the wiring done for the lathe and this little bad boy....

My new vacuum chuck system...

Currently I am using http://www.jtturningtools.com/ (http://www.jtturningtools.com/) vacuum chuck hub with a 2-4in coupler and their vacuum adapter and they work perfectly! Right now it can pull 24hg of vacuum and I can finally finish some blanks that I have had on my bench drying.

I also put the first coat of oil on the walnut crotch bowl I asked about... WOW... now to get some good pictures when I get it off the glue block.

John Keeton
09-28-2010, 8:39 AM
Brent, that is some clean work! Nice setup.

Alan Zenreich
09-28-2010, 1:25 PM
Although I've seen it before... I still don't quite understand the reason for putting an extra filter on the intake side of the relief valve.

The filter on the intake side of the pump would capture anything that would come in from there. Maybe a small piece of nylon to keep chips from entering perhaps...

So is this a case of belt and suspenders design, or is there an actual reason for the extra filter?

Brent Grooms
09-28-2010, 7:16 PM
From what I have read, it isnt necessary for the filter on the outlet side but it does help diffuse the sound. For the cost, I had no reason to alter it, as I spent more on the flippin fittings than I did on anything else except for the pump.

Don are you saying that even with the open back I will still have problems with heat build-up?

Alan Zenreich
09-28-2010, 9:28 PM
I was questioning the small filter dangling on the short tube that goes to the ball relief valve.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 9:48 PM
Alan - from what I can make of it, Brent has his system set up very close to what I have mine. The small air filter on the bleeder valve is between the input air filter and the pump. To prevent any foreign material getting sucking into the pump - you would need a filter.

If the main air filter had been placed after the bleeder valve - the small filter would not have been required.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 9:51 PM
Really nice looking system.

Alan Zenreich
09-29-2010, 5:00 AM
Steve,

That's not the way I read the plumbing. There is a large filter placed on the intake side of the pump that both the bleeder valve and lathe adaptor feed into. That was the reason I question the extra filter.

So let's just rephrase the question. If the small filter was removed, and some dust got sucked into the bleeder valve, would it be caught by the larger filter? If so, the job is done. If not, it needs another filter or possibly a rework of the plumbing.

It's not a big deal in any case. I opted not to add the 'extra' filter in my configuration, and I'm just asking about this to see if I have missed a reason to do so.

Alan Zenreich
09-29-2010, 5:15 AM
Steve,

Upon, reexamination of the plumbing I see that you are correct about the filter placement in this current configuration.

The bleed valve is the source of much of the air flow entering the system.

So my suggestion is that it might be worthwhile to consider replumbing systems so that the large filter is placed directly before the intake side of the pump. This way, regardless of where dust is coming from, it is trapped effectively by the largest, highest quality filter.

It's not a problem either way, but those looking at these configurations for ideas sometimes wonder about the complicated nature of the plumbing. Actually it's quite simple and straightforward, especially if the parts are kept to a minimum.

Josh Bowman
09-29-2010, 6:24 AM
I was questioning the small filter dangling on the short tube that goes to the ball relief valve.
Alan, when I built mine, I tinkered with different configurations. I found that even though there is a filter on the inlet of the pump for debris, the other filters reduce the noise significantly.

Don Geiger
09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry Brent. I thought it was a totally closed cabinet. you should be fine.

Don

From what I have read, it isnt necessary for the filter on the outlet side but it does help diffuse the sound. For the cost, I had no reason to alter it, as I spent more on the flippin fittings than I did on anything else except for the pump.

Don are you saying that even with the open back I will still have problems with heat build-up?

Don Geiger
09-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Dear fellow woodturners:

I live in Florida and mud dobbers will fill any cylindrically shaped void smaller than about 1" diameter with mud. I use sintered brass filters on the vacuum relief intake valves on both of my vacuum systems or within a week they would be plugged with mud and bugs.

I have to put masking tape over any holes in my equipment to keep the bugs out.

The sintered filters are available from the plumbing section of any hardware store and are inexpensive. They can be purchased with a male or female NPT on one end so they screw right onto the valve.

Don Geiger

Alan Zenreich
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Don,

Now that's a case I hadn't considered.

I know that every spring I have to remove spider webs that clog up a gas line feeding an outdoor cooker. I haven't had a problem yet in my shop (it's in my basement) but a screen or small filter seems like a good preventative measure.