PDA

View Full Version : mobile base for powermatic 14" band saw

Matthew Chamberlin
09-26-2010, 4:44 PM
Has anyone used a mobile base for the powermatic 14" band saw, other than the

http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-2042377-Mobile-Model-PWBS14/dp/B0007DHHTW

It's pretty expensive for a base that get's so-so reviews.

Will Overton
09-26-2010, 5:36 PM
I use the one you linked to. I believe it's made by HTC. I was skeptical when I first got it because it's different than any mobile base I ever owned. It doesn't lift and lower the saw, but cradles it in a frame that sits pretty close to the floor. It uses only three wheels, which means you don't need leveling legs [three points define a plane].

It rolls very easily, is very stable, and takes the curved front of the saw base into account. Worth the price ??? That's a personal choice.

Bruce Page
09-26-2010, 5:54 PM
I have that base (HTC) under my PM jointer.
Hate it.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-26-2010, 6:05 PM
I have a Delta MB under my PM bandsaw. 4 wheel design. Make sure that the mobile base is wider than the base of the saw, so you have some stability. That one looks like it doesn't drop down to stay in 1 place. The Delta has adjustable feet, when the movable wheels are lifted, but I think they don't make it anymore. I tried to buy another for my jointer. Can't find it anymore.

Peter Quinn
09-26-2010, 7:58 PM
I had that base on my PM BS for years (it went with the saw in a trade) and in reality it was one of the best mobile bases I had used. It cradled the saw nicely, the saw rolled effortlessly and was nicely balanced, and it actually locks pretty well with those silly set screws and swivel lock caster. Mine did not rock at all. Is it worth the price? I paid $25 at a woodcraft that was closing, so for me most certainly. I can see the complaints in the amazon reviews as legitimate given it's nearly $200 for a few pieces of tube steel and some plastic wheels, they certainly could have done better. But again, in use it's a decent working item. I don't really want a mobile base on a tool as tall as a BS that works by lifting it up and thus back, changing the center of gravity. I had originally used an after market base like that on the saw and it was very frightening every time I had to move it. Would I pay the asking for that unit? Like your self I'd be looking at other options first.

John Hollaway
09-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Matthew, if the Delta 50-274 base for the Delta 14" bandsaw will fit your saw, you can have it for $40.00 plus shipping. It's in excellent condition, and has an inside dimention of 19 and 3/8 inches by 17 and a quarter inches. It's a nice base, but I just no longer need it.

John Hollaway

John Neel
09-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I used the WoodRiver Universal Mobile Base Hardware Kit to build my own mobile base.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=29416

Just add an appropriate size piece of plywood, drill holes and bolt it together. It's less than half the price. It works just as advertised.

Matthew Chamberlin
09-26-2010, 11:13 PM
At least two people like it here. I'll give it a shot. I mean how can you argue with Will's "three points define a plane." It's just a fun statement/fact.

Thanks for the offer to sell me yours john. And thanks for everyone elses input.