PDA

View Full Version : Another Nicol Knockoff

Baxter Smith
09-26-2010, 4:18 PM
After recently acquiring a larger lathe, I needed a bigger steady rest. After searching the internet and this site for a good design, I decided on one by Jeff Nicol. I would like to thank him for the design and his website which pretty much spelled out the building process. THANK YOU JEFF!

Took me a couple of days this week to find the materials and put it together. The ring was ordered from Mcmaster Car. Picked up some box tubing from a local steel scrap yard and the rest I had in inventory. Looks more mayo than mustard but it’s what I had leftover from another project. (Maybe if I upgrade someday!;))

Gave it a test run today with a piece of spalted birch I cut this summer. It will handle more than what is on here but I’m not so sure about my hand held hollowing tools. Or me!:)

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2010, 4:58 PM
Baxter - you do nice work! Have to admit that I would hate to hollow something that large with hand held hollowing tools! My neck and shoulders couldn't take it!

If you happen to be traveling through my neighborhood - stop in and you can try out both of the Monster systems! Then you will know why they are so popular!

Looking forward to seeing that HF all finished!

Ray Bell
09-26-2010, 5:01 PM
Very nice Baxter. Looks just like Jeff's steady, which works well.

David DeCristoforo
09-26-2010, 5:33 PM
Yup. That's a "ringer" for Jeff's. Nice job. Sure glad I got one from him before he stopped making them. I'm no welder!

John Keeton
09-26-2010, 5:53 PM
Baxter, you done good!!! I admire you multi-talented folks. I would be dangerous with a welding machine!:eek:

Paul Douglass
09-26-2010, 6:04 PM
Really nice. I have been slowly collecting metal to make one but I haven't found the round part. That is a flange isn't it? Well, maybe I found it is it an angle ring? I couldn't even find it in their catalog. I'm thinking I could make a Hexagon out of square tubing and accomplish the same thing but might not look as nice.

Josh Bowman
09-26-2010, 6:28 PM
Baxter, that looks very nice. It's the wrong color though:D It would look good on a Jet.....like mine:rolleyes:
Actually I have one of Jeff's and your's is a spitting image. Great work. Now how about some tool rests:p

charlie knighton
09-26-2010, 7:34 PM
congratulations on your new lathe and hollowing rig, i know they will be used

Harvey M. Taylor
09-26-2010, 7:35 PM
Hi Baxter. Jeff made mine and he said that he worked for a sheet-metal co and still knew some of the guys there. They have the eqpt. and can roll angle iron to almost any diameter for him. Might want to give one a try about the rolling thing.Worth a try, Max.

Michael James
09-26-2010, 7:51 PM
After recently acquiring a larger lathe, I needed a bigger steady rest. After searching the internet and this site for a good design, I decided on one by Jeff Nicol. I would like to thank him for the design and his website which pretty much spelled out the building process. THANK YOU JEFF!

Took me a couple of days this week to find the materials and put it together. The ring was ordered from Mcmaster Car. Picked up some box tubing from a local steel scrap yard and the rest I had in inventory. Looks more mayo than mustard but it’s what I had leftover from another project. (Maybe if I upgrade someday!;))

Gave it a test run today with a piece of spalted birch I cut this summer. It will handle more than what is on here but I’m not so sure about my hand held hollowing tools. Or me!:)
Dude, you are so getting sucked into the vortex...... I can hear the wooooshing over here in NM...... ENJOY!!!!:cool:

Thomas Canfield
09-26-2010, 9:03 PM
Good looking rest, but you need to change the color. I added some pieces of foam "floaties" to the square tubing to soften the ends when walking by. I also noticed your larger "shelf" for holding tools, and I might need to make an addition to mine. Things keep falling off the small rubber pad and a larger tray with sides would work better.

Rich Aldrich
09-26-2010, 9:26 PM
Nice job, Baxter. I wish I could work with metal like that.

Baxter Smith
09-26-2010, 9:43 PM
....If you happen to be traveling through my neighborhood - stop in and you can try out both of the Monster systems! Then you will know why they are so popular!...

Thanks Steve, I would love to stop by and watch someone who knew what they were doing!:) Just have to figure out how to get it into the Delaware to Maine route. Visited a family in Brown City 2 or 3 times growing up. Drove through the UP 27 years ago coming back from Oregon. How time flies!

Really nice. I have been slowly collecting metal to make one but I haven't found the round part. That is a flange isn't it? Well, maybe I found it is it an angle ring? I couldn't even find it in their catalog. I'm thinking I could make a Hexagon out of square tubing and accomplish the same thing but might not look as nice.
Paul, here is a link to the angle ring I used. Scroll down to find the 20" one.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=6fhzkf
I had considered making a hexagon out of square tubing but the ring was only about 30$ with shipping and just seemed easier.

Baxter, that looks very nice. It's the wrong color though:D It would look good on a Jet.....like mine:rolleyes:
Actually I have one of Jeff's and your's is a spitting image. Great work. Now how about some tool rests:p
Thanks Josh. Did the tool rests last week. Robust/Nicol knockoffs.:) Original I'm not!

Dude, you are so getting sucked into the vortex...... I can hear the wooooshing over here in NM...... ENJOY!!!!:cool:
You might be right!;)

Good looking rest, but you need to change the color. I added some pieces of foam "floaties" to the square tubing to soften the ends when walking by. I also noticed your larger "shelf" for holding tools, and I might need to make an addition to mine. Things keep falling off the small rubber pad and a larger tray with sides would work better.
Thanks Thomas, I didn't bang into the tubes today but I will keep that in mind if I do. I got the idea for the shelf from the Mustard Monster Site.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jerhall95945/PM3520HeadstockToolShelf (http://picasaweb.google.com/jerhall95945/PM3520HeadstockToolShelf)

Tim Rinehart
09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
You did a great job on that steady rest. I've been wanting to do same myself. I justified my welder last year when I built a hollowing rig, so this shouldn't be too tough.

Jeff has some great ideas and is good about sharing for those who feel like making on their own. If you haven't tried yet...you should try making one of the drill bit hollowing tools..they work great.

Again, super job on your steady.

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Baxter that is a great looking steady. Well done.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 5:07 AM
I noticed you are pretty good in the metal working department Baxter, both the toolrests and the steady look good, if I was to make it like that, I would put a bracing piece on the back of the square tubing to the angle iron, yours is probably just fine, but I tend to overbuild things :rolleyes:.

That Spalted Birch HF is looking good from what I can see, and yes time for a captured system, I'm sure you are quite capable of building your own, and better now then after having your shoulder all busted up, like a friend of mine did last year :(

Paul Douglass
09-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Got a question on your build, well another question, is there a reason why you didn't wield the pieces that your wheel arms go through to, across the face of the ring instead of to the edge of it? Hope that made a sensible question.

Tim Rinehart
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
We'll see what Baxter says...but I'm guessing it has something to do with keeping the interior diameter maximized by allowing the wheels to go outboard that extra inch or so. Can't see needing that much personally...but it helps maintain capability.

I'm more curious about that tool rest thingy sticking inside the HF...how is that used, with a scraper ?? Baxter, please tell more about that rest when you can.

Thanks,
Tim

Got a question on your build, well another question, is there a reason why you didn't wield the pieces that your wheel arms go through to, across the face of the ring instead of to the edge of it? Hope that made a sensible question.

Baxter Smith
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
You did a great job on that steady rest. I've been wanting to do same myself. I justified my welder last year when I built a hollowing rig, so this shouldn't be too tough.

Jeff has some great ideas and is good about sharing for those who feel like making on their own. If you haven't tried yet...you should try making one of the drill bit hollowing tools..they work great.

Again, super job on your steady.
Thanks Tim, a hollowing system has crossed my mind more than a few times. I can see how it would be much less stressful on the body with bigger stuff and with a laser, very thin work should be much more prone to surviving.:) I would be interested in how you did yours . Have thought about the drill bit hollowers as well but haven't figured out the grind on the end. At the moment I have some Vaccum chuck parts on the way.:o:)

I noticed you are pretty good in the metal working department Baxter, both the toolrests and the steady look good, if I was to make it like that, I would put a bracing piece on the back of the square tubing to the angle iron, yours is probably just fine, but I tend to overbuild things :rolleyes:.

That Spalted Birch HF is looking good from what I can see, and yes time for a captured system, I'm sure you are quite capable of building your own, and better now then after having your shoulder all busted up, like a friend of mine did last year :(
Thanks Leo, I thought about that bracing and noticed that some of Jeffs had it and some didn't. Figured the less welding I do, the less warping there will be, and the fewer bad welds I have to grind out.:)

Paul, I did that because that is what I saw in a picture. It does allow about 2 more inches in capacity and I was trying to preserve that. For what I'm not sure! Would have been easier and stronger without doing it. I got some pulling as well so things are now not in perfect alignment.

We'll see what Baxter says...but I'm guessing it has something to do with keeping the interior diameter maximized by allowing the wheels to go outboard that extra inch or so. Can't see needing that much personally...but it helps maintain capability.

I'm more curious about that tool rest thingy sticking inside the HF...how is that used, with a scraper ?? Baxter, please tell more about that rest when you can.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim, that long bar sticks inside the HF to help support my handheld tools. They are simple 7/16 suare stock with some tips on the ends. Although they can reach about 12 inches deep, they can't do it without help. I welded a piece of 1" square on to a 1" round. Saw one pictured in a post here that Jeff Nicols had made for someone. The one I made can reach in about 10 inches on one side and 3 1/2 inches on the other.

Tony De Masi
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Congrats Baxter. Very nice work indeed. I too am envious of those types of skills.

Great job.

Rob Cunningham
09-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Good looking steady rest and tool rests.
If you come around Phila. anytime, let me know and maybe you could stop by and try out my homemade Monster-style hollower.

Baxter Smith
09-27-2010, 8:06 PM
Congrats Baxter. Very nice work indeed. I too am envious of those types of skills.

Great job.
Thanks Tony. Darn little skill but it doesn't stop me from trying something.:)

Good looking steady rest and tool rests.
If you come around Phila. anytime, let me know and maybe you could stop by and try out my homemade Monster-style hollower.
I would love to take you up on that Rob. I travel by there 5 or 6 times a year so it might work out sometime.

David DeCristoforo
09-27-2010, 9:18 PM
I think you need to call this a "nichoff"...

Rob Cunningham
09-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I would love to take you up on that Rob. I travel by there 5 or 6 times a year so it might work out sometime.

Sounds good, let me know when you're heading up this way and we'll see how our schedules are.

Dahl Troy Perry
10-12-2010, 9:29 AM
Badger nice work on the tool rest. What did you for the radius part of the rest? Did you roll metal? Or how? And is the top rail hardend or sold? I'm bored here at work it's kind of slow thought I mite make some toolrests.

Dahl Troy Perry
10-12-2010, 9:32 AM
Sorry Baxter about the name this phone changes spellings and I did not catch it before I posted.

Bill Bulloch
10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Great job. Now that Jeff no longer makes them, can we just sent our orders to you?

bob svoboda
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks a bunch, Baxter. Now I have ANOTHER project on my to-do list.:rolleyes: Very nicely done...congratulations.

Baxter Smith
10-12-2010, 11:03 AM
What did you for the radius part of the rest? Did you roll metal? Or how? And is the top rail hardend or sold? I'm bored here at work it's kind of slow thought I mite make some toolrests.
Dahl, just keep in mind that having no real clue about what I'm doing doesn't stop me from trying it.:) The radius part of the rest were some 4 inch pipe. Bought a 15 inch section at a local discount/surplus steel yard. I split it using a bimetal blade in my sawzall with a piece of angle clamped alongside as a fence.
There are two places locally that sell surplus steel but neither had hardened 1/4" rod. Went to a machine shop in town and the person I should have talked to wasn't there. Left a note with the secretary that I wanted a cold rolled 1/4 inch drill rod. They ordered a 3' piece of drill rod but it wasn't hardened. After talking with the person there who was the person I should have talked to to begin with, I went ahead and used it. Figured I could always try again if it doesn't work out. The posts are made from some barbells I cut up. Had purchased some 1" steel rod but it was actually too big to fit in the powermatic banjo.

Great job. Now that Jeff no longer makes them, can we just sent our orders to you?
Thanks Bill. I am sure Jeff's were a lot nicer. Even though it was fun to make one, I'm not sure I could even charge 5$ an hour and keep it affordable.:)

Jeff Nicol
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Baxter, Good job on the "Knock off" Since I can't afford a lawyer to get a patent it is better to share the wealth in my eyes. I am in the process of drawing up plans and specs for the steadies and when I get that ready then it will be easy for everyone to do the work.

The arm holders being out at the edge are there for exactly the reason stated; to get as much usable diameter. I mount them flush on the ring and add a gusset to the back for strength and also at the bottom where the end of the plate is to the ring. You can see the gussets in the pictures.

Still going one day at a time,
Jeff

Baxter Smith
10-13-2010, 5:43 PM
Baxter, Good job on the "Knock off" Since I can't afford a lawyer to get a patent it is better to share the wealth in my eyes. I am in the process of drawing up plans and specs for the steadies and when I get that ready then it will be easy for everyone to do the work.

The arm holders being out at the edge are there for exactly the reason stated; to get as much usable diameter. I mount them flush on the ring and add a gusset to the back for strength and also at the bottom where the end of the plate is to the ring. You can see the gussets in the pictures.

Still going one day at a time,
Jeff
Thank you Jeff, and thank you for being willing to share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us. I am sure it is appreciated by a far greater number than ever acknowlege it.

I didn't add the gussets on the rings because most of the ones I looked at on your website lacked it. I have used it a few times and vibration hasn't been a problem but I haven't done anything very big. I suppose it would be easier to add those now rather than wait until I was using it and wished I had them. Just have to mess up the paint! :)
I won't be putting you out to pasture on anything seeing as how I could produce about 1 a week.

Thanks again for sharing. Watched your endgrain hollowing tool video today for the first time. Looked like a charm. Will have to figure out the angle of that grind on the end sometime. I have a bunch of dull HSS drill bits of all different sizes in a drawer.