PDA

View Full Version : Triton 2 1/4 HP Router-Thoughts?

Kevin Womer
09-26-2010, 4:15 PM
I am looking for a replacemnt for my router table and was wondering if any owners out there are willing to share their likes/dislikes with this model?
Thanks for the input,
Kevin

Van Huskey
09-26-2010, 8:26 PM
Solid router for a non-lift router table, BUT I would seriously consider the 3.25hp version. The extra power opens more doors on a table and the difference in price isn't that much.

Dan Friedrichs
09-26-2010, 8:57 PM
I've read that the 3.25HP model has some problems that they fixed with the smaller one???

Anyhow, I actually bought one of the 2.25HP models today (on Amazon - it's coming Wednesday), so if you'll wait until then I'll have some thoughts for you :)

I was debating between buying a good lift and PC motor, or this Triton. Ultimately, the only arguments in favor of the lift was that you get more control of the bit height (ie - the TPI of the raise/lower screw is higher, so you get finer control of bit height). Ironically, some people complain that 32 TPI is "too much" and it takes forever to get the bit high enough to change it. One of the first things I intend to do with my Triton is measure how much TPI the raise/lower mechanism is - that is information I couldn't find anywhere, and would be an excellent comparison to popular router lifts.

Van Huskey
09-26-2010, 9:03 PM
Dan, what were the problems, I haven't read anything about them.

jerry nazard
09-26-2010, 9:24 PM
I've had a 2.25 for several years. Great router - I'd buy another one in a heartbeat! :D

Dan Friedrichs
09-26-2010, 9:35 PM
Dan, what were the problems, I haven't read anything about them.

I had to go back and look - one of the online reviews I read just mentioned several improvements over the bigger one. Reading the review again, I guess I wouldn't say the bigger one has any "problems" - perhaps the smaller one is just perceived to have more refined features.

Robert foster
09-26-2010, 9:40 PM
I have 2- 21/4 hp and 1- 3 1/4 Tritons. I am satisfied with them but have not had or used any others. I have them in my router table and like them. One had a lift problem and the factory immediately sent a replacement part to fix it. I am wondering in the others will have the same problem or if they have them fixed from the factory now. Wood magazine did a router comparison this month so you might look there for some insight. The 3 1/4 does not have the same above the table raising and lowering that the 2 1/4 s have. I think they are good routers.

Bob

Van Huskey
09-26-2010, 10:07 PM
The 3 1/4 does not have the same above the table raising and lowering that the 2 1/4 s have. I think they are good routers.

Bob

When did Triton change this, I have seen a 3.25 Triton crank the bit well clear of the table top...

John Coloccia
09-26-2010, 10:29 PM
When did Triton change this, I have seen a 3.25 Triton crank the bit well clear of the table top...

I have the 3.25 and it definitely has all the above table features. Auto shaft lock, everything. I don't know why anything would have changed. Be aware that there is an older version of the 3.25 that underwent a few changes, but that was years ago I believe.

Robert foster
09-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe I got an older model 3 1/4 from woodcraft but I just got it a couple of years ago.

Bob

John Coloccia
09-26-2010, 11:04 PM
To lock and unlock the plunge mechanism, do you twist a knob in the center of the handle or do you push a button? On mine, it's push button. I believe the twisty kind is the older version.

One thing that's really lacking is Triton has a very poor website IMHO. If you search around, there's constant confusion about their model numbers and about what updates have been made. I wish they would put more information out there. I always feel like I'm guessing about their routers, and it's especially confusing because people keep referring to them as "new" models when they've been out for years. That had me confused for a long time.

Robert foster
09-26-2010, 11:19 PM
John: I was referring to the above the table handle like the one on the 2 1/4.
Bob

John Coloccia
09-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry. I wasn't being clear. Mine has an above the table handle. I was trying to figure out the other differences between your Triton and mine. I think all that changed around the same time that the plunge mechanism selector changed. They made other changes as well, like the switch changed at some point. None of it is easy to track down, though, as far as I can tell.

Robert foster
09-26-2010, 11:41 PM
John: Thanks. I'll have to check with Triton to see if they are backward compatible. It would be nice to have above the table raising and lowering on the 3 1/4. The way I have it setup now is i have a small 12 V scissor jack to raise and lower it. I still have to tweak it below the table but it works.

Bob

glenn bradley
09-27-2010, 9:09 AM

Years ago the 3-1/4HP version did not have a very elegant above the table mechanism. This brought a lot of people into the 2-1/4HP model including my dad. I have casually read that in the not to recent past, Triton refined the above the table stuff on the larger model.

I have not researched this thoroughly though because dad already has his router and many other makers had added above the table controls since this period. If the larger router does indeed have the features of the smaller one I would not hesitate to get the larger one. Dad's has performed flawlessly. Be advised, the controls on this guy are not your familiar western style controls. There is a short learning curve for hand use. In the table, except for the finicky power switch function, the different controls are moot.

Peter Aeschliman
09-27-2010, 1:10 PM
I have the 2 1/4 model and I like it.

My two dislikes:

1) They say it has a "soft start", but it's anything but soft. It jolts to a start almost immediately. I guess this isn't a problem necessarily, but it sure did surprise me the first time I started it up. I was used to my porter cable router, which came up to speed much more slowly.

2) I love the lift mechanism, but the worm gear is made of plastic. So if you're not careful when you're raising the bit, and you turn it too far, you could break it pretty easily. Just crank it slowly and it's not a problem. But it seems like they would only increase their production cost slightly if they made it out of a more durable material.

The triton routers are a great value because of the built in lift mechanism. You'd spend twice as much on an equivalent router because you'd have to go buy an aftermarket lift... I don't know why more router manufacturers don't offer built in lifts... it's pretty silly.

I think there's a Freud router that has a lift in it, as well as a porter cable. I'm not sure which ones though.

You won't be disappointed if you buy the Triton.

Kevin Womer
09-27-2010, 4:20 PM
Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate your willingness to share your insights. I have had my eye on the Triton model and now am torn between which model to pick up, the large or mid sized model. The reviews I read that may help with the modification questions a few people had on the replies to this post was was at onlinetoolreviews.com by Bill Esposito. There is a video on this review that is helpful, but the review is from 2006-which led me to inquire on SMC. There was another video I saw somewhere but I can't recall where it was as I didn't bookmark it-my apologies. Regardless, your posts have me convinced this is a good purchase to make for my router table. I just have to think about how much money to spend now...

I appreciate your time,
Kevin

Steve Mellott
09-27-2010, 4:21 PM
The original 3 & 1/4 hp Triton router did not have the above the table lift feature. That was changed several years ago - today the 3 & 1/4 hp Triton does have this feature. As another poster mentioned, the worm gear in the smaller Triton router is plastic and it can be stripped. When I experienced this problem, Triton sent me a new part - no questions asked. Even given the problem with the worm gear, I would recommend the smaller Triton router to anyone. It has more than enough power for my needs.

Steve

Kevin Womer
09-27-2010, 4:24 PM
Dan Friedrichs

Anyhow, I actually bought one of the 2.25HP models today (on Amazon - it's coming Wednesday), so if you'll wait until then I'll have some thoughts for you :)

Dan,
Congrats on your purchase, I am looking forward to hearing how you like the router, I appreciate your thoughts on this new purchase, please keep me posted.
Thanks,
Kevin

Terry Welty
09-27-2010, 6:23 PM
Betcha like it! I've got the bigger one... great router... it does have the auto lock and the above table crank. The slow start works on mine just fine. I've had several routers and the Triton is the best! Plenty of power, smooth, easy to adjust...

John Coloccia
09-27-2010, 6:27 PM
Betcha like it! I've got the bigger one... great router... it does have the auto lock and the above table crank. The slow start works on mine just fine. I've had several routers and the Triton is the best! Plenty of power, smooth, easy to adjust...

Everyone seems to complain about the soft start. I think the disconnect is what it would feel like WITHOUT the soft start. It doesn't ramp up slowly like some. It's pretty fast but it would be brutal without it. These big routers are, frankly, quite frightening in terms of available power for a hand held tool.

Clint Olver
09-27-2010, 6:39 PM
I have both, and really like both of them. The 3 1/4 is really too big to use free hand very well, but is awesome in a table. The 2 1/2 is pretty good at everything.

C

Robert Chapman
09-27-2010, 8:52 PM
I have the 2 1/4 Triton and really like it. I use it only in my router table. It is easy to change bits above the table and to adjust bit height. I don't use the above table bit height adjuster because it's easy for me to reach under the table to adjust. The only things I don't like about the router are the difficulty I have with the on/off switch and the loudness of the motor. Neither difficulties would make me not buy one again.

Dan Friedrichs
09-29-2010, 3:54 PM
So I received a Triton 2.25HP router today.

Overall, I'm impressed. I have no complaints, yet. It appears to be a very nice router with a LOT of features at a very good price.

I plan to use it in a table, so I was curious how it compared to various router+lift configurations. Some people on this forum have said that the advantages to a lift (vs a router like this one that has above-table height adjustment) are:

1. The lift has a finer pitch screw for raise/lower, so you can adjust bit height with more precision.

-and-

2. No need to "lock" the bit in place.

Regarding #1, I measured the travel of the bit, and found it took 13 turns to raise the bit 1" (I assume there's a metric equivalent to that :) ). Compared to other popular router lifts on the market that have 16 or 32 TPI, 13 TPI seems good enough to me.

Regarding #2, I clamped a micrometer to the base and measured the deflection of the bit when I clamped down the height lock mechanism. I measured a deflection of slightly less than 0.001". While not perfect, I figure that I rarely succeed in setting the position of my fence with a precision of 0.001", so why does it matter if the bit moves by that much?

After making these measurements, I am convinced that there is no reason to own a router lift. Consider that a router+lift easily costs $400+, versus this router at $200, I simply can't see how those extra 3TPI are worth $200.

John Coloccia
09-29-2010, 4:03 PM
Just an FYI when bolting it into the router table plate (this applies to my 3.25, but may apply to the smaller one as well). I found that mine wouldn't quite go flush with the router plate once you take the Triton base plate off. On mine, there are two carraige bolts designed to clamp one of the accessories in place (I forget which one). Those bolts protrude just a touch below the cast base, and prevent the router from seating fully. I took them out and everything is fine.

I guess you could just leave the router base in place but I wanted to get all the height out of is that I could.

Dan Friedrichs
09-29-2010, 4:09 PM
Thanks John - I was just going outside to mount it to a plate, so your advice is very timely :)

This router has a lot of very nice features. I like the included edge and circle guides. The dust collection seems well-designed, too. I think I'll be buying a second for handheld use.

Kevin Womer
09-29-2010, 5:07 PM
Dan,
Thanks for your thoughts on the router, I am going to go with the same as I plan to use it in a table but for some hand held operations when needed. I thought I saw on a review somewhere the 2 1/4 comes with template guides, does it still? I could be wrong, but I thought I read it did at one time as well as fence and circle attachment. Enjoy your new toy...er router.
Kevin

Dan Friedrichs
09-29-2010, 5:53 PM
It comes with the fence (including extended base plate) and the circle attachment, but no template guides. The opening in the standard base plate is pretty large, too, so I think I'd want those template guides.

I also thought it came with a below-table dust hood at one point, but mine didn't.

Jay Allen
09-29-2010, 7:43 PM
I also thought it came with a below-table dust hood at one point, but mine didn't.

Mine did, but I have had it for a little over 2 years.

Mine also had a warning paper inside that said to be sure to remove the plunge spring if you use it in a table.
I have the 2 1/4 Hp Model and it has been in a table since day one, I have never used it hand-held.

Robert foster
09-29-2010, 7:56 PM
I just called Triton to ask about a retrofit to add above table raising and lowering to my 3 1/4. She said there was no parts available to do it. I asked when they added the winder to the 3 1/4 and she said about 2 months ago. I wish mine had it.

Bob

Jeff Mackay
10-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I just bought the smaller (2.25hp) Triton today for use in a table. I'm using the Grizzly G0528 router table with a sliding table, and I got tired of wrestling with height adjustments on a Bosch 1617 beneath the table. It took me just a few minutes to swap the two routers. The G0528 uses clamps to hold the router in place, and the Triton's base is much thicker than the Bosch's, so the clamps work great. The majority of time I spent on switching the routers was in moving the clamps because the Triton's base has a larger diameter than the Bosch's base.

Removing the spring was a piece of cake. I removed one screw and loosened the spring cap (keeping a tight hold on it). The spring popped right out. The cast iron table on the G0528 is pretty thick, but I could easily change bits from above the table with no problem using the wrench included with the Triton. The autolock works as expected, but it's a little bit of a hassle to have to turn the power switch off before the autolock will engage (the G0528 has its own power switch).

Height adjustment is simple and easy. In normal mode, I used the microadjuster beneath the table and it worked great. I'll probably eventually drill a hole in the table and use the included extension rod to change height from above the table. I can put it into "free plunge" mode to raise and lock for changing bits.

I only tested it out with cope and stick bits that I'm using to mill some window sashes for our transom windows. It certainly had no problem with those bits, but they aren't extremely large.

Overall, I'm very happy with the router.

Kevin Womer
10-16-2010, 7:11 PM
After heading to Amish country, and stopping at Keim Lumber and Hartville yesterday, I came home and ordered the Triton 2 1/4 Router tonight online. Neither store carries the Triton, and I liked what I heard on here with all of the replies-Thanks for the help. I was liking the Bosch fixed and plunge kit, but not enough to change my mind from the Triton. Router should be here next week, be happy to let everyone know my impressions.
Regards,
Kevin