PDA

View Full Version : For those who DO use Twitter...

Paul Simmel
09-26-2010, 2:24 PM
Can you help me figure it out? In's and out's, why's, how's, etc. I no nothing about it except some political folks 'Tweet', and I like to follow those. I had to make an account over there in order to follow.

Please, tell me. How does it work? Can one Reply to a Tweet?, for example.

Thanks...

Paul

Charles Wiggins
09-26-2010, 2:49 PM
The links here explain it much better than I ever could:
http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2010, 3:01 PM
Paul,

Refresh my memory.......from 40+ years ago....would you please.

Didn't they used to have a dirt track at Mazon. I vaguely remember taking a date there to a midget race in the late '60s.

Mitchell Andrus
09-26-2010, 3:38 PM
The whole thing seems a bit high school cheerleader-ish to me and I hope it goes away so we can all get back to doing something productive.

...... Like posting about our urgent trivialities on forums.

Paul Simmel
09-26-2010, 3:49 PM
The links here explain it much better than I ever could:
http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/

Thanks Charles.

Maybe others can give examples/explanations of how they use Twitter? Do you gain anything meaningful, or is it just "fun"?

Paul Simmel
09-26-2010, 5:27 PM
Ken, we've only been here for 3 years, but I wouldn't doubt it. There's a track in Morris 10 miles to the south, but it isn't dirt. I only like the dirt, so haven't been to the one in Morris.

Used to go to Wilmot Wisconsin for the dirt track races 30 + years ago... some of the best.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2010, 6:23 PM
Paul,

Maybe it was Morris but my old memory thinks Mazon.

If you want to attend some dirt track races, drive to Fairbury, IL just south of you some 40 miles or so. Take US-47 to Forrest and then west on US-24. My wife is from Fairbury and one of her uncles used to run the concession stands there. When we were visiting on a summer Saturday night, we used to help out at the concession stands and watch the races.

Jacob Mac
09-26-2010, 7:39 PM
Thanks Charles.

Maybe others can give examples/explanations of how they use Twitter? Do you gain anything meaningful, or is it just "fun"?

I have a twitter account for my business. I do it for two reasons. First, from my understanding, google indexes tweets. So theoretically it helps my organic search results for my website. I do not know if that is gospel truth, but that is what I have been told.

Second, IME a lot of younger women, think 25-40, are on twitter. And that demographic is my bread and butter. I would go broke without that demo. So when I have a discount, or something significant to say, I tweet it. I also blog about it and put it on my facebook page. It is just the next wave of the new social media.

I also follow other people who are in a similar business as myself. It allows me to see what others are doing. And if I see an idea/approach I like, I will use it. It is a convenient way of keeping track of my peers.

I do not love twitter, and do not have a personal account. But I see its utility for my business. So I use it.

Bryan Morgan
09-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Can you help me figure it out? In's and out's, why's, how's, etc. I no nothing about it except some political folks 'Tweet', and I like to follow those. I had to make an account over there in order to follow.

Please, tell me. How does it work? Can one Reply to a Tweet?, for example.

Thanks...

Paul

Its for narcissistic junior high and high school age females with terrible grammar and a minimalistic understanding of the English language. Also, perverted males who try to use it to get with said females seem to like it, as well as pathetic older folks who are still trying to be "in" with the youngsters. ;) I will admit it was mildly entertaining to read what NASCAR drivers post but that got old very quick. Working with computers/networks for a day job, I always have to research the latest buzz words when the CEO's come asking. Twitter really seems to be a waste of time. Its quite popular but I'm really not seeing the value in it. :confused: :rolleyes:

Rick Prosser
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
My kids use Twitter, so I have an account to see what is going on with them. We used to catch up on a phone call now and then, but the little things are not usually remembered. With Twitter/Facebook/Myspace it is more real-time keeping up - rather than the occasional phone calls. I don't tweet much because I am not as comfortable putting out my activiteis and feelings for everyone to see.

And Yes - you can reply to a tweet. You can also re-tweet. Probably other things too that I am not aware of...:rolleyes:

Paul Simmel
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. I started with Facebook, then deleted the account, then started again. Primarily because of the kids who are on opposite ends of the country. We also Text, and send pic's back and forth on the smart-phones, etc. Whatever technology we can use to stay more connected... even Skype for the video of the grand kids as well.

Twitter, on the other hand, seems very complicated, but my interest in it came from wanting to follow some of the politics now-a-days. I don't think I know one soul on Twitter, but it seems people in business and politics use it quite effectively... and that interests me.

I want to try to learn how all this works, and maybe then I'll form an opinion on it.

I can also imagine that certain help-groups could benefit.

Or research-groups, etc.

But it does look like it is quite complicated, and probably goes deeper than it appears.

Thanks, Rick. I wonder if the Pres' answers any of the replies to his Tweets, or Sarah Palin? <smile>

Charles Wiggins
10-20-2010, 7:26 PM
Thanks Charles.

Paul,

Sorry it took so long to respond.

I really don't check my Twitter account all that often and I rarely post myself, but if I had the time, it is a nice way to keep up on what's going on with certain people/organizations. Some folks post every little thing that they are doing, like what they are eating, where they are going, etc. The folks I follow are more tended toward posting informative updates - I follow several political figures who post news and info about what is happening in state government, congress, the courts and the like. I also follow several library organizations like our state library and other services, so I get updates on new developments there. I also follow Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer, and he posts advice and encouragement for working with your dog.

If I had a business I would use the account to post information about new products and to generate business -

"The New Bosch Axial-Glide CMS is here! Come in a take a look!"

"Come in by 3:00 PM today and mention this Twitter post and get 10% off any purchase! (Excludes Festool, Lie Neilson, Amana, Steel City, and any other thing you might REALLY want to buy)"