PDA

View Full Version : Score on an old PC A3!!!And many thanks.

Peter Quinn
09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
So I spotted this at the local flea market today. If it were not for the advice in an old post from Karl Brogger, David DiChristoforo and Larry Edgerton, who were kind enough to give an education in belt sanders, I would not have given this little locomotive a second look. I guess its the older cousin to the 504? All works well, its a heavy beast, and for the $20 I paid, its cheaper by the pound than bologna! Beats some chinese plastic from the borg. Its not much of a looker, but neither am I, so we'll make a fine team!

Mike Cutler
09-26-2010, 1:17 PM
Nice, Very nice!!!!

Be sure and give that little locomotive a good ground insulation check with a meter, and check the condition of the ground lug.

Nice find!;)

Andrew Joiner
09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow! Good find Peter. I bought a new 504 in 1980. The specs called for regular oil checks. I think it was a chain drive. I would research this on your model.

Peter Quinn
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Nice, Very nice!!!!

Be sure and give that little locomotive a good ground insulation check with a meter, and check the condition of the ground lug.

Nice find!;)

Mike, can you describe just what I should be checking?

Andrew, I'm going to take a look at a manual on line. I'd suspect it's due for an oil change, maybe new brushes would be a food idea too, and a chain lube?

Paul Canaris
09-27-2010, 1:16 PM
Mike, can you describe just what I should be checking?

Andrew, I'm going to take a look at a manual on line. I'd suspect it's due for an oil change, maybe new brushes would be a food idea too, and a chain lube?

If you’re not sure how to check for leakage current you could simply run a redundant ground. To do this you run a second green wire (ground) from the sander metal case to the ground pin of the plug. That way if there is leakage, you've provided a low resistance pathway which would lessen the degree of any potential shock.

Peter Quinn
09-27-2010, 8:35 PM
If you’re not sure how to check for leakage current you could simply run a redundant ground. To do this you run a second green wire (ground) from the sander metal case to the ground pin of the plug. That way if there is leakage, you've provided a low resistance pathway which would lessen the degree of any potential shock.

Makes sense Paul. I'll do that. I fired it up on a GFI circuit that trips when I run my leaky old Millers Falls Drill on it. The drill doesn't shock me but it trips the GFI every time. Similar metal housing. I guess its just like grounding a metal work box?

Ben Martin
09-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Nice sander, I am totally jealous...

This is all that I could pick up, and I have been looking for a while...

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Mall%20Belt%20Sander/330621040_photobucket_17170_.jpg

Andrew Joiner
09-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Ben, What brand and model is that one?