PDA

View Full Version : Oh Darn !

Leo Van Der Loo
09-26-2010, 2:21 AM
162584 162585

yes it was that last cut, it's the one I never make :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :D

William Hutchinson
09-26-2010, 3:27 AM
I'm glad that your weren't' injured. Too bad, that was an interesting design that had potential.

David E Keller
09-26-2010, 9:45 AM
Finally, a photo of something that I think I can do!:D

Sorry about the design opportunity.

Curt Fuller
09-26-2010, 10:03 AM

That was my reaction too.;) Better luck on the next one Leo.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry that happened, Leo, but it is somewhat consoling to know it happens to really good turners also.
fmr

David Christopher
09-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Leo, it looks like this will give you the opportunity to try out a new piece of wood.:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Leo, hey I can do that. I hate that famous last cut. Looks like that was going to be a interesting piece.

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Leo - did you make that last cut just so you could show the kids how to make the most out of a design opportunity?

If so - I am looking forward to seeing how you go about turning this into a work of art! :D

If not - I am sorry for your loss.

Pete Jordan
09-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I am also glad you were not hurt!

That is why I like thick bowls.

Thom Sturgill
09-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Leo, I think I would have used a few stronger words. Does look like it would have been an interesting piece.

David DeCristoforo
09-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I am so glad to see this. I know that sounds awful but don't take it the wrong way. Sometimes I feel like I do nothing but fight this kind of stuff whenever I'm at the lathe. It's good to know that it's not just me and that these things can happen to even the most experienced of turners. So, even though I'm sorry about the mishap and very glad you did not end up with part of the bowl imbedded in your flesh, I would like to thank you for posting this. Somehow, now I don't feel so bad....

Ray Bell
09-26-2010, 2:29 PM
Leo, I am sorry this happened to you, but like a lot of other folks here I am a little relieved to see this can happen to the best of turners.

Allen Neighbors
09-26-2010, 3:15 PM
I'm so sorry, Leo. :( Having had something comparable to this recently, I can empathize with you.

John Keeton
09-26-2010, 3:55 PM
Leo, good of you to post - helps the rest of us know that the 'lathe gremlins' live in everyone's shop!!

...I am looking forward to seeing how you go about turning this into a work of art! :DFrom Leo's previous comments, I am betting this one is firewood! I know for me, the zeal would be gone, and it would be on to the next piece of wood.

Baxter Smith
09-26-2010, 4:30 PM
I'm sorry but thanks for making us all feel better.(or at least me:)) Looks like another piece of your elm. Hopefully it wasn't the best piece!

Michael James
09-26-2010, 9:58 PM
Leo, thanks for posting that. I will tell you that even your kindling is a whole lot nicer than I'm turning out. But I'm working on it.:D

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 5:20 AM
I'm glad that your weren't' injured. Too bad, that was an interesting design that had potential.

That was my reaction too.;) Better luck on the next one Leo.

Sorry that happened, Leo, but it is somewhat consoling to know it happens to really good turners also.
fmr

Leo, it looks like this will give you the opportunity to try out a new piece of wood.:D

Thanks Guys, I was just trying to make you all feel good :rolleyes: :eek:, knock on wood as they say, but so-far I have never been badly injured turning wood, but for catching a falling skew on the sharp end, I'll never do that again :o

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 5:46 AM
Leo - did you make that last cut just so you could show the kids how to make the most out of a design opportunity?

If so - I am looking forward to seeing how you go about turning this into a work of art! :D

If not - I am sorry for your loss.

Steve don't hold your breath :D, it's already deposited with the firewood that a friend uses to heat and cook with

I am also glad you were not hurt!

That is why I like thick bowls.

Pete thick bowls hit harder than thin and light bowls ;)

Leo, I think I would have used a few stronger words. Does look like it would have been an interesting piece.

Thom I did call myself a few things not many would get away with :D, but than again I had fun up until that moment, after I cut the bottom part off the waste block I glued the two pieces together and than showed my wife, I first held it so it wasn't obvious and then turned it so she could see the hole in the bottom, she gets this big question mark on her face and she goes "what did you do ?", ha, she grinned when I told her, said something like that it would be fancy firewood for Tony, I guess she is right about that :)

Leo, I am sorry this happened to you, but like a lot of other folks here I am a little relieved to see this can happen to the best of turners.

I wasn't trying to make you feel better Ray :p

I'm so sorry, Leo. :( Having had something comparable to this recently, I can empathize with you.
Who Allen, no comparison between this piece of Elm and that beauty you lost, I felt really bad for you, luckily you still had a few more pieces to redo it, I don't think I will try to make this one again, lots of wood and all kinds of forms that can be made from it, I just go with the flow so to speak, done a couple more and they are stashed and brown bagged, someday they might be finished :D

Leo, good of you to post - helps the rest of us know that the 'lathe gremlins' live in everyone's shop!!
From Leo's previous comments, I am betting this one is firewood! I know for me, the zeal would be gone, and it would be on to the next piece of wood.

This helps to stay humble John, not gremlins, just a screwup on my part, not the first time,and almost guaranteed not the last time ;), and yes your right, on to the next and the next :D

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 5:49 AM
Leo, thanks for posting that. I will tell you that even your kindling is a whole lot nicer than I'm turning out. But I'm working on it.:D

He Michael that could be true, but mine is going to burn and yours did survive :), and yes keep on practicing, something I need to do some more also it seems :rolleyes: