PDA

View Full Version : Pm 66

Karl Card
09-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I found a pm 66 table saw. It is a 10" saw but has a 3 phase 5 hp motor. Does anyone know what type of motor I would need in a single phase to fit this. I would like to keep it at 3 or 5 hp singe phase but know nothing about rpm's, and style of motor etc that is needed to replace the 3 phase.
I prefer not to mess with static or rotary converts.

Dave Beauchesne
09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Karl:

Check out the manufacturer's site for the saw and see what single phase option they offer - I believe it is 3 hp, single phase. Carefully compare RPM. shaft size and mounting criteria before purchasing the wrong motor.

5 hp. single phase is not so common, but available last time I looked.

Make sure it is a capacitor start motor as well, so you have some torqueto get 'er rolling.

Dave Beauchesne

Karl Card
09-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks Dave.

zayd alle
09-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Karl,

Depending on shaft size, this is what you'd need to order:

http://www.electricmotorsite.com/c/sglwood_cface/C+Face+%28End+Mount%29.html

I was planning to order from them but ultimately found a used motor that fit.

michael case
09-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Karl,

The 66 was most commonly set up with a Baldor 3 HP single phase. But, like Dave says check about the mountings etc.

Chip Lindley
09-26-2010, 1:30 AM
Karl, there's lots of good info on PM66 motors over at owwm.org. Do a search for PM66 MOTOR MOUNT and you will have lots of reading to do. It seems all PM66 motors have the same hole spacing to mount, but different shaft sizes depending on the age of the saw. 184C, 145TC, and 56C sizes are mentioned. Look at your motor plate for frame size, and measure your motor pulley bore for shaft diameter.

Single-phase motors to fit the PM66 are quite in demand. 3-phase motors like yours are plentiful. After you price available new and used single phase replacement motors, you may want to consider a VFD to run your existing 3-ph motor.

Karl Card
09-26-2010, 2:38 AM
I havent gotten the saw yet. I just saw one that I thought was well worth the money. Unfortunately it has a 3 phase 5 hp motor in it. From seeing the prices of the motors, even for the 3 hp, I think I need to pass. Thanks for all the info and it was helpful.