PDA

View Full Version : Stitched-up bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
09-25-2010, 9:57 PM
Mark Hubl just showed his bowl that had the bark inclusion going so far that he had to find a way to rescue the piece, and used a lace to do this.
Well as it happened I was working on one at the same time, that I had to save, as I had done this before and used brass wire, I did this again with the same wire that I have a whole roll off.
The reason was this bowl I made better than 4 years ago had a branch running up the side of the bowl, I kind of liked the looks, however it was the open pith of Walnut that tripped me up, it did not split at that time though I was worried it might.
And yes after almost 2 years a split started to show :(, (so LOML suggested I should fix it as the last client that did express interest in it, backed out when the split was discovered).
So here I went to try to make it an interesting part of the bowl :confused:, I'm not too sure about it, but my better half says she likes it, so that's something good,.......................... I think :rolleyes:

All comments are always welcome :)
162546 162547 162548 162549 162550

Karl Card
09-25-2010, 10:00 PM
That is one hell of an imagination.

Nice bowl

David Christopher
09-25-2010, 10:10 PM
very nice Leo, it looks like it was intended to be that way from the start

Mark Hubl
09-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Ah, a classic "Leo" shape. I really like this shape, for me it has a retro sixties feel. Hope the fix works, it surely adds visual interest. This is a classic way of repairing a vessel. Nice work Leo.

Jim Burr
09-25-2010, 10:52 PM
It's a great form and use of the wood, but IMHO I'd like to see some ebony dove-tail stitches in place of the wire. It's something I could not even hope to pull off, but it's a Leo bowl ;)

Thomas Canfield
09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Another surprise. You continue to amaze me with the different styles and solutions to opportunities that you encounter. Thanks for all your contributions. I have seen rawhide stitching, butterfly patches, and now this. Something else to keep in the back of my empty mine for possible future use.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Nice piece Leo and nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
09-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Leo - nice save! Very clean work!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-26-2010, 2:12 AM
That is one hell of an imagination.

Nice bowl

Thanks Carl :), But I shoulda seen it coming :o

very nice Leo, it looks like it was intended to be that way from the start

David I think you are right, maybe the wiring would have bben easier at that time ;), thanks for commenting :)

Ah, a classic "Leo" shape. I really like this shape, for me it has a retro sixties feel. Hope the fix works, it surely adds visual interest. This is a classic way of repairing a vessel. Nice work Leo.

Thanks Mark :), retro sixties hé, well that does fit me I think :D, and yes done this a couple of times, but I'd rather not have to :)

It's a great form and use of the wood, but IMHO I'd like to see some ebony dove-tail stitches in place of the wire. It's something I could not even hope to pull off, but it's a Leo bowl ;)

Thanks Jim :). little Dutchmen in there ??, be my guest, it's less than 1/8" thick, not much to work with, and I'm certainly not going to try that one :eek:

Nice piece Leo and nicely done.

Thank you Bernie :)

Another surprise. You continue to amaze me with the different styles and solutions to opportunities that you encounter. Thanks for all your contributions. I have seen rawhide stitching, butterfly patches, and now this. Something else to keep in the back of my empty mine for possible future use.

Thanks Tom :), oh you can put "staple" in there also, done that one also a few times, and "hidden screw" is a good one if there's enough wood to work with :D
162581 162582 162583

Leo - nice save! Very clean work!

Thanks Steve :), we try to not make fancy firewood :D

David E Keller
09-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Nicely done. I love the look of a good repair whether it's wire, leather, butterflies, or something else. Thanks for posting.

Greg Ketell
09-26-2010, 11:44 AM
All your repairs are very interesting. And the final products are all really cool!!

Thanks for the ideas for future fixes.

John Keeton
09-26-2010, 4:10 PM
A great woodturner, and a custom tailor, to boot!! How much talent can one man have?!?!;):D

Baxter Smith
09-26-2010, 4:22 PM
Nice work Leo! Thanks for posting the other pictures as well. I particularly like the apple with the brass. Gives me ideas for dealing with some big apple that probably is going to have some cracks!

David DeCristoforo
09-26-2010, 5:52 PM
Great looking bowl made more interesting by the "obviousness" of the "fix". Sew it up. Great call!

charlie knighton
09-26-2010, 7:41 PM
i recently turned this green maple and it split, i have since bagged it and the splits have closed up some, i like your wire idea

what size holes are you drilling, they look small

any suggestions Leo????

Jerry Marcantel
09-26-2010, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=charlie knighton;1522389]i recently turned this green maple and it split, i have since bagged it and the splits have closed up some, i like your wire idea

Hey Charlie, I know you asked Leo, but from my vast experiece in using wire in my last life, here is a tip free of charge.
Get a 5' lenght of wire that is about the same guage as telephone wire. Bend an 8d finish nail until it starts to look like a hook. Insert the straight end into a drill. Set it aside, get the wire and put the two ends together. Twist them about least 6 times, and put that end into a clamp of your choice. Put the loop into the hook, stretch it until the wire is tight, start the drill and twist the wire until you see something you like..... If you twist it too much, it will work harden, and be tough to bend at the holes you're inserting the wire into. If that's the case, you will need to anneal it. If it's too loose, then you might get seperation in the wire at a bend.
The hole size should be the same as the wire size, you'll get better bends and cleaner corners..
Twisting the wire gives it a cable look... Jerry (in Tucson)

Leo Van Der Loo
09-27-2010, 4:04 AM
Nicely done. I love the look of a good repair whether it's wire, leather, butterflies, or something else. Thanks for posting.

Thank you David :), next time I'll make the bowl wider so get past that pith, would have been a smarter move I think, though I don't remember how much wood I had past the rim, oh well :rolleyes:

All your repairs are very interesting. And the final products are all really cool!!

Thanks for the ideas for future fixes.

Thanks Greg :), I hope this was the last "repair" I had to do, but I won't hold my breath ;) :D

A great woodturner, and a custom tailor, to boot!! How much talent can one man have?!?!

Hi John, thanks :D, how much talent you say ??, like you are without any :rolleyes: :eek: , I wish I had some of yours, and I'm not kidding :D

Nice work Leo! Thanks for posting the other pictures as well. I particularly like the apple with the brass. Gives me ideas for dealing with some big apple that probably is going to have some cracks!

Thank you Baxter :D, oh come on, you got to think positive and tread that wood properly, though I must admit I'm quite fond of that Applewood piece, probably looks better this way than if it was without any splits and the brass collar :D

Great looking bowl made more interesting by the "obviousness" of the "fix". Sew it up. Great call!

Thanks David :), no reason to try to hide something that you can't really hide, with wood a lot of things are tolerated you couldn't get away with using it in other material, so we do get away with it ;)

i recently turned this green maple and it split, i have since bagged it and the splits have closed up some, i like your wire idea

any suggestions Leo????

Thanks Charlie :), that is a nice HF you made Charlie, too darn bad it split like that, I guess you didn't bag it to start off with, too late now ;-((
I have a box of very small carbide burrs that I use in my Dremel, some are so small I wouldn't be able to get any wire through the holes they drill.
Looked at your piece and tried to imagine what I might contemplate doing with it, I thought about two things, one would be to carve two handle like pieces that would cover the splits, the other cutting the splits out in a narrow rounded V and then stretch brass or copper, even stainless steel wire across the V, something like the picture shows, that would probably my favorite fix for the piece :)

[QUOTE=charlie knighton;1522389]i recently turned this green maple and it split, i have since bagged it and the splits have closed up some, i like your wire idea

Hey Charlie, I know you asked Leo, but from my vast experiece in using wire in my last life, here is a tip free of charge.
Get a 5' lenght of wire that is about the same guage as telephone wire. Bend an 8d finish nail until it starts to look like a hook. Insert the straight end into a drill. Set it aside, get the wire and put the two ends together. Twist them about least 6 times, and put that end into a clamp of your choice. Put the loop into the hook, stretch it until the wire is tight, start the drill and twist the wire until you see something you like..... If you twist it too much, it will work harden, and be tough to bend at the holes you're inserting the wire into. If that's the case, you will need to anneal it. If it's too loose, then you might get seperation in the wire at a bend.
The hole size should be the same as the wire size, you'll get better bends and cleaner corners..
Twisting the wire gives it a cable look... Jerry (in Tucson)