PDA

View Full Version : Daily Catch

Karl Card
09-25-2010, 9:42 PM
It is very good to have friends. Today I got some cherry, cedar, sycamore, walnut and a couple that I have no idea.

Needless to say I will be in turning heaven. I see bowls, turned boxes and small plates or saucers and maybe even some bangles.

Richard Madden
09-25-2010, 9:45 PM
And a nice catch indeed. Was this gifted to you, or part of a trade, or what?

Karl Card
09-25-2010, 9:49 PM
about half was in a trade and the other half was a gift.

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 9:55 PM
Nice haul. Should keep you busy through part of the winter.

Bob Wolfe
09-25-2010, 9:59 PM
Score...you are a lucky man indeed.

David Christopher
09-25-2010, 10:06 PM
good score Karl, what cha gonna do next week

Ken Fitzgerald
09-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Nice catch Karl! That should keep you busy for a while!

Mark Hubl
09-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Well Karl, That should keep you busy for a while. Nice score!

Lance Norris
09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
All I see are bandsawn boxes! ;) Oh... and a cat...

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice haul. That should keep off the streets a day or so.:rolleyes::D

Steve Schlumpf
09-25-2010, 11:14 PM
WOW! Great gloat! Lots of good looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Does your cat eat wood? Looks like it's checking out the wood pretty close!

David E Keller
09-26-2010, 9:50 AM
Nice score. Have you counted those blanks? It appears that the cat may have already consumed one of them!:eek::D If it was cedar, at least the cat's breath will be nice for a while.

bob svoboda
09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Great score and nice job turning a cat-form.

Greg Ketell
09-26-2010, 11:13 AM
HAHA for those of us (aka me) with less turning skill that is not what I thought of when I read "Daily catch"! :p

Congrats! That definitely looks like a lot of fun to come.:D

Karl Card
09-26-2010, 1:41 PM
I got this cat from the Vanderburgh Humane society. It was supposed to be for my wife. She does alot of volunteer work for them as well as my 2 daughters also. Well anyway she kept on talking about how much this cat had a really sweet personality. So I went and got "Scooter" without her knowing it. I told her that I went to get Scooter but someone beat me to it. She was almost in tears and immediately went to the humance society to tell him bye. But Scooter turned out to be daddys cat. After Scooter got home he didnt have much to do with the others as he did me. Not in a mean way but just seemed to draw towards me. He is really a cool cat though and yes he would eat anything, and his size shows it but at least he doesnt eat wood. I raised dogs for 18 years and never thought Id be a cat person.

John Keeton
09-26-2010, 3:51 PM
Karl, I have mixed feelings about this post! Kudos on the wood - not so much on being a cat person now!;):D But, I guess they need a friend to make up for those of us that don't care at all for them.

Bunch of nice blanks there, and lots of possibilities!

Karl Card
09-26-2010, 4:43 PM
Karl, I have mixed feelings about this post! Kudos on the wood - not so much on being a cat person now!;):D But, I guess they need a friend to make up for those of us that don't care at all for them.

Bunch of nice blanks there, and lots of possibilities!

John,
I understand. I had been around all kinds of dogs for so many years I didnt ever think id see the day when I did not want a dog. To me the best cat was a dead cat or Garfield, and let me tell you I have a complete collection of Garfield. from plates to sheet sets, to watches, towels, 24K gold rimmed plates, books, movies, just a bunch of stuff. But then Scooter came along and is just a different kind of cat.
The only dog however that I would be interested in is an English Bulldog and Lord only knows they have so many health problems, but I may consider one of those when I retire.

Harvey M. Taylor
09-26-2010, 7:41 PM
Living in north-central Texas where we only have mesquite, red and white oak, I would kill for a score like that with such variety.Max

Michael James
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
John,
I understand. I had been around all kinds of dogs for so many years I didnt ever think id see the day when I did not want a dog. To me the best cat was a dead cat or Garfield, and let me tell you I have a complete collection of Garfield. from plates to sheet sets, to watches, towels, 24K gold rimmed plates, books, movies, just a bunch of stuff. But then Scooter came along and is just a different kind of cat.
The only dog however that I would be interested in is an English Bulldog and Lord only knows they have so many health problems, but I may consider one of those when I retire.

Karl, if you have abandoned the dogpeople tribe for the, um, other team, that's ok. Really. Im not kidding.:p

Tim Rinehart
09-27-2010, 9:30 AM
Interesting how otherwise common words and phrases take on new meaning to woodturners...I thought the very thing you did Greg. I imagine the post would get even more traffic if it were describing the job on finishing details to the base of a turning, and the post were titled..."Nice bottom".

Hey Karl, great haul ...er catch. What's the first thing you have in mind for it?

HAHA for those of us (aka me) with less turning skill that is not what I thought of when I read "Daily catch"! :p

Congrats! That definitely looks like a lot of fun to come.:D

Karl Card
09-27-2010, 5:30 PM
Interesting how otherwise common words and phrases take on new meaning to woodturners...I thought the very thing you did Greg. I imagine the post would get even more traffic if it were describing the job on finishing details to the base of a turning, and the post were titled..."Nice bottom".

Hey Karl, great haul ...er catch. What's the first thing you have in mind for it?

Well a cherry bowl seems to be in order... but then I went and checked the mailbox today... and gee MORE WOOD 4 cocobolo squares.... Friday is my full day off of school so I think I will just spend the day in the shop....