PDA

View Full Version : Can't get tablesaw blade aligned to miter slot

Russell Dyess
09-25-2010, 8:59 PM
I have a General Int left tilt contractors table saw. It has been a great saw. Several weeks ago I had to make a 30 degree cut and was tilting the blade when the tilt adjustment wheel became stiff. Dummy me just kept cranking on the wheel and came to find out that there was an obstruction keeping the motor from tilting. After that incident, I can't get the blade to align with the miter slot. I have torn the saw apart looking for something bent, but I could not find anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

Darnell Hagen
09-26-2010, 1:47 AM
Perhaps you bent the blade? Was it the insert that kept it from tilting?

Fred Belknap
09-26-2010, 9:01 AM
Chance are that the trunnion twisted when you had it tilted. It is a weak point on contractor saws. I had something similar happen on a Delta contractor saw and when I tried to tilt it I broke the trunnion. After replacing it I never could get the saw to stay aligned when it was tilted. Solution: cabinet saw. I used it a couple years set up in the shop for 90° cuts but needed the room so I retired it to the barn. I tried selling it but when I told people about the problems I had with it they lost interest. :(:(:D

Mike Harrison
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Russell,

Sounds like the same problem I had some years ago with a contractors saw I bought.

Problem is that the trunion assembly has become twisted. If you set the assembly rods on a pair of 2 X 4s, which are set parallel to the front and rear trunion plates, you'll find you can rock the assembly from side to side.

Loosen the nuts (items 121L) that secure the rods to the rear trunion plate, (Item 94) in the drawing below, the assembly should snap into proper alignment and you shouldn't be able to rock it any longer. Re-tighten the nuts, check that it doesn't rock, put the saw back together and re-align. All should be OK.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/WW%20tools/Shop%20tools%20and%20Jigs/Alignment%20tool/sawtrun1.jpg
Hope this helps.

Russell Dyess
09-27-2010, 7:23 AM
Thanks to all who responded. Fred you were right the trunnion had twisted. I took the saw apart and double checked, no cracked cast iron pieces (I got lucky). MikeinKCMO provided the correct solution. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. My saw is working again.