PDA

View Full Version : Made it home in time for Christmas!

Bruce Page
12-18-2004, 3:27 PM
It was touch & go for awhile but we finally launched the missile at 8:45 local Kodiak time on Tuesday night. I will post launch photos when they are released. CNN.com has a short article at: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/15/missile.defense.ap/index.html

I posted a picture of the missile at: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14172
the odd looking covering is a heater blanket that peels away at lift-off.

Keith Starosta
12-18-2004, 3:37 PM
That's GREAT, Bruce! I'm glad all went well. Welcome home!

Keith

Bruce Page
12-18-2004, 11:17 PM
That's GREAT, Bruce! I'm glad all went well. Welcome home!

KeithThanks Keith, it’s great to be home even if the mission wasn’t a complete success. That’s why they call it R&D.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Glad everything went well and you got home for the holidays. Enjoy!

Bruce

John Miliunas
12-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Welcome back, Bruce. Bet it's just a bit warmer at home, too! :) :eek:

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Welcome Back Bruce!!!!!! And Merry Christmas to ya!!!!!

Carl Eyman
12-19-2004, 9:37 AM
But the missle is still flying, isn't it? I mean the guys on the other end couldn't get the interceptor off the ground, could they? Or do I have the wrong missle story? I hope so, because it must be frustrating to do your job well and then have the mission fail for other reasons.

Glenn Clabo
12-19-2004, 3:04 PM
Bruce,
Welcome back! I hope you at least got some gradification that your side went off well.

Bruce Page
12-19-2004, 3:16 PM
Thanks guys, it is good to be home – I can read the Creek without anyone looking over my shoulder.:rolleyes:

Carl, you read the right article, and yes, it was very disappointing when the GBI shut down with 30 seconds left in the count. On the other hand, our system performed very well and the air, ground, and sea, down range tracking stations collected valuable radar information.

larry merlau
12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
i was glad you put some info as to what you were up to in ak. saw the pic and thought pretty small for a moon flight :D but i see that it was alittle difernt use of nasa this time/ glad you were able to get some good outof your endeavors. and alaska is always good to visit :D but its warmer in your neck of the woods/happy holidays

Bruce Page
12-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks Larry, Kodiak in the summertime is beautiful, the deep green mountains & meadows are almost overwhelming to this desert dweller. I’m not too fond of Kodiak in the wintertime though – too much wind and freezing rain, and not enough daylight hours. :eek: :eek: