PDA

View Full Version : Cothren type bowl from Cothren wood

Curt Fuller
09-25-2010, 5:51 PM
I think this is an Apple bowl from a block of wood Mark Cothren sent me. The wood was sealed in anchorseal so I cut about 1/8" off the four sides and then sanded them, the bottom and the bowl have a smooth finish, the top I left with a rough "toolmark' surface. It's oiled, really soaked, with tung oil and buffed on the smooth surfaces, just oiled on the rest, 8" x 10" and turned offset as much as I could and still swing it on a 14" lathe. These type bowls are really starting to grow on me, and I think the wood is beautiful, but, well I just ain't no Cothren.

BTW, I would guess the humidity in Conway where this wood grew up is about 80%. When I cut the sealer off this wood there were no cracks. While I turned the bowl, about 30 minutes, I actually heard the wood crack a couple of times. When I was done turning it I came in the house and checked the local weather.....78 degrees 8% humidity. That's a pretty dramatic change for wood to withstand. But I think the cracks that are forming actually enhance the rustic look of the bowl. It's going to be interesting to see how much it cracks.

Michael James
09-25-2010, 6:17 PM
Interesting and unique from and a beautiful chunk of wood. Nice job - it's different and I like it.:cool:

David E Keller
09-25-2010, 6:45 PM
Really nice looking wood, Curt. These forms are starting to grow on me. Did you place the bowl off-center on purpose?

Tom Sherman
09-25-2010, 7:53 PM
Very cool Curt great wood.

David DeCristoforo
09-25-2010, 8:29 PM
I really like the surface. The texture adds a lot to this bowl.

Mark Hubl
09-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Very nice. I like these pieces. They have a "less is more" elegance about them. Plus I think their chunky/husky appearance gives them a nice masculine feel. I agree that the cracks will only add to the personality.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Interesting form Curt out of some mighty nice wood.

Steve Schlumpf
09-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Curt - that's cool! I like the contrast in surface textures! That - to me - makes the piece!

Nice work!

John Keeton
09-26-2010, 3:46 PM
Nice work, Curt! I haven't turned any apple, but apparently it is really prone to cracking anyway.

I think you did the wood justice, and a very thoughtful gift from Mark, too!

Baxter Smith
09-26-2010, 4:34 PM
Pretty piece of wood and quite eyecatching! I would be interested to see another picture of your bowl in a couple of weeks. From what little experience I have with apple,(though probably more than with anything else) it has only begun to crack!:)