PDA

View Full Version : BurlNFused Glass

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 3:59 PM
This is burl material (maple)? with a fused glass insert. The Kokopelli is thin copper fused between orange/clear glass. The bowl measures 10" x 21/2", and is finished with BLO, and wipe on poly.

Comments, and criticisms welcomed, and appreciated.

Mark Hubl
09-25-2010, 4:10 PM
Very nice looking bowl. The burl looks great and "koko" is one of my favorite southwestern themes. Did you do the glass work also? Very nice indeed.

David E Keller
09-25-2010, 4:26 PM
Very creative, Ray. Great looking finish as well.

Ray Bell
Very nice looking bowl. The burl looks great and "koko" is one of my favorite southwestern themes. Did you do the glass work also? Very nice indeed.

Thanks Mark, yes I did the glass work. Just cut the KoKo out of copper, cut the glass circles, put it in my friends kiln, and done.

Michael James
Are you sure you're not the Ray B from NM?:) Interesting insert in the bowl. I've carved a few kokopelli's in my day.... love it!

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 5:03 PM
Are you sure you're not the Ray B from NM?:) Interesting insert in the bowl. I've carved a few kokopelli's in my day.... love it!

LOL, no Michael. We do have a daughter in Az. though. We usually get down there several times a year, so pick up a lot of SW Indian stuff.

Paul Douglass
09-25-2010, 7:52 PM
Ray that really turned out nice. The only criticism I have is Koko should be playing a cigarbox guitar.

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 8:11 PM
Ray that really turned out nice. The only criticism I have is Koko should be playing a cigarbox guitar.

Should have thought of that Paul. How are you liking the new lathe?

Leo Van Der Loo
09-25-2010, 8:52 PM
This is burl material (maple)? with a fused glass insert. The Kokopelli is thin copper fused between orange/clear glass. The bowl measures 10" x 21/2", and is finished with BLO, and wipe on poly.

Comments, and criticisms welcomed, and appreciated.

Very interesting bowl Ray, the wood and inlay are gorgeous, well done :)

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 9:54 PM
Thank you for the nice compliments

Karl Card
09-25-2010, 10:31 PM
The complete bowl looks very nice. That finish really catches my eye though.

Ray Bell
09-25-2010, 11:33 PM
The complete bowl looks very nice. That finish really catches my eye though.

I really like this wipe on poly. Seems that every time I spray, or use a brush I get the runs!!

Steve Schlumpf
09-25-2010, 11:45 PM
That's different! Really like the contrast of materials and colors! Nice work on the glass!

I agree with your observations with the wipe-on poly. Easy to use and I don't have to worry about over-spray or runs!

Looking forward to seeing what's next!

Michael James
09-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Not quite Koko and not quite a cigarbox... but hey.... it's a guitar:cool:

Paul Douglass
09-26-2010, 10:35 AM
IF you get the "runs" Ray, maybe you are allergic to wipe on Poly!!

Here's Koko and the guitar (well it is actually a Uke).

John Keeton
09-26-2010, 4:06 PM
Ray, some more nice work with the glass!! This turned out really nice - even without the guitar!

Baxter Smith
09-26-2010, 4:25 PM
Very nice. Very intersting inlay. I admire those turners who have other skills to combine with their turnings!

Ray Bell
09-26-2010, 5:14 PM
Thanks guys.
Baxter, believe me, this kind of glass work is much easier than turning.

Marc Himes
09-26-2010, 7:22 PM
I like the piece . The addition of the glass brings up many possibilities. Are you planning more pieces with the combination?

Marc Himes

Ray Bell
09-26-2010, 9:00 PM
I like the piece . The addition of the glass brings up many possibilities. Are you planning more pieces with the combination?

Marc Himes

Marc, I enjoy working with glass, and turning bowls, so I'm sure I will do more of these. No theme comes to mind right now, but Something will come up sooner or later.