PDA

View Full Version : Epiolg rotary instructions

greg lindsey
09-25-2010, 2:40 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for setting up the rotory device. It has been soooo long since I had to use it I can't remember how to set it up. I have some glasses for a freinds wedding and I can't hardly refuse the job. Also my old summit had a seperate focus tool for the rotary, which I can no longer find, so I was wondering if my EX which has auto-focus, will it auto focus for the rotary as well.

any and all help appriecated.

Frank Corker
09-25-2010, 3:16 PM
Greg have you tried the Epilog website? It should all be in your manual which you should also be able to download from there. Here is link to some rotary work which might help you: http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_360_artwork.htm

Larry Bratton
09-25-2010, 5:34 PM
Here is a YOUTUBE video that shows the setup and operation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPJ7eSyfxc

Robert Walters
09-25-2010, 5:47 PM
Lasering THROUGH the wet paper?! Really???

John Noell
09-25-2010, 9:35 PM
Lasering THROUGH the wet paper?! Really???
Yep. (On small pieces I just use dish soap. Large pieces dry out too quickly.)

Anthony Scira
09-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Man I would never auto-focus on a round object ! I just have visions of the plunger slipping and the beam smashing the glass.......or is it just me ?

Robert Walters
09-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Yep. (On small pieces I just use dish soap. Large pieces dry out too quickly.)

What's the purpose of the liquid?

john passek
09-26-2010, 2:19 AM
Some where on SC i came across a post where someone had lost his focusing tool ( epilog ) so he made his own guage, maybe try a search and with any luck you can do the same.
my 2c.

Frank Corker
09-26-2010, 5:45 AM
What's the purpose of the liquid?

Keeps the glass cool during the lasering and it makes the engraving come out smoother than without using it. Use the search facility and look up glass engraving. Real eye opener if you've never tried it.

Wil Lambert
09-26-2010, 7:29 AM
Man I would never auto-focus on a round object ! I just have visions of the plunger slipping and the beam smashing the glass.......or is it just me ?

I use the auto focus on rotary objects all the time. The only time I don't use the rotary is when the object is a weird shape and I worry about the beam hitting.

Martin Boekers
09-26-2010, 9:28 AM

The one thing that caught me once (never again!) was in the process you have to install the
rotary device with the laser OFF as it could damage a mother board. Well,I turned it off,
installed the rotary, put in the glass and turned it on. Much to my horror at that exact moment
I realized as the laser moved to the rotary position
the table wasn't low enough to clear the glass, before I could stop it, it crashed into the glass
and shattered it! Go figure it was a client supplied glass and not one of mine.
Not an easy one to explaine:(, but luckily it didn't damage the laser!

Marty

Dan Hintz
09-26-2010, 9:30 AM
I'm going to be one of the dissenters about using water, soap, tissue, paper, etc. I've used them all, tried every trick ever listed that I could find, and in the end I gave all of them up as they had zero effect on the final outcome. The secret to glass is the proper setting, not extra stuff layered on top of it.

Larry Bratton
09-26-2010, 9:35 AM
It's just you..it works fine.

Larry Bratton
09-26-2010, 9:37 AM
I'm going to be one of the dissenters about using water, soap, tissue, paper, etc. I've used them all, tried every trick ever listed that I could find, and in the end I gave all of them up as they had zero effect on the final outcome. The secret to glass is the proper setting, not extra stuff layered on top of it.
I agree. I tried all kinds of stuff on glass, wet paper, soap etc etc. None of them showed any appreciable difference.

Mike Christen
09-26-2010, 9:59 AM
I agree with Dan, I tried the wet paper, soap, etc and found no real difference. I use 100S, 80P, and 400 DPI on most glass with my 75 watt

Martin Boekers
09-26-2010, 10:43 AM
It is amazing that we have such different experiences with glass, more
than any other substrate.

I use the liquid soap method for the JDS black mirror and there is definitly
a difference. It this because the soap changes surface temp? I don't know
it may be because the shards attach themselves to the soap and are washed away when cleaning the soap off.

I know even from batch to batch of the glass I use it does take tweeking, not one
setting works great all the time even in the same batch of products.

Does anyone use air assist while rastering?

Larry Bratton
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
It is amazing that we have such different experiences with glass, more
than any other substrate.

I use the liquid soap method for the JDS black mirror and there is definitly
a difference. It this because the soap changes surface temp? I don't know
it may be because the shards attach themselves to the soap and are washed away when cleaning the soap off.

I know even from batch to batch of the glass I use it does take tweeking, not one
setting works great all the time even in the same batch of products.

Does anyone use air assist while rastering?
Marty, I use air assist sometimes with raster. I figure it keeps some of the dust or residue from ending up in the engraving. I always use it with vector cutting. My thought is that using while rastering would do no harm and would be helpful in some cases. Glass may be one of those cases, as it creates a lot of dust.

Robert Walters
09-26-2010, 12:45 PM
The one thing that caught me once (never again!) was in the process you have to install the
rotary device with the laser OFF as it could damage a mother board. Well,I turned it off,
installed the rotary, put in the glass and turned it on. Much to my horror at that exact moment
I realized as the laser moved to the rotary position
the table wasn't low enough to clear the glass, before I could stop it, it crashed into the glass
and shattered it! Go figure it was a client supplied glass and not one of mine.
Not an easy one to explaine:(, but luckily it didn't damage the laser!

Marty

Marty,

I can see that happening. Bunch of things on your mind, get distracted by someone, phone rings, etc.

So, is there a big label on your rotary that says:
"LOWER THE TABLE BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT INSTALLING"

:D

Jeanette Brewer
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for setting up the rotory device.

Greg,

I'm presuming the Legend32's previous owner did not supply the manual with the laser?

If that's the case, you'll want to download it from the website at http://www.epilogfiles.com/legend_manual.pdf.

HTH

Frank Corker
09-27-2010, 4:18 PM

Definitely makes a difference on every bit of glass type that I have tried. Maybe it's just mystical you Dan!

John Noell
09-27-2010, 5:49 PM
I have tried with and without soap on glass and pearl shell, then given the samples to people for blind assessment. No question, people always pick the sample done with soap as having finer detail. (Of course, 'finer detail' does not always equal 'esthetically better'.)

David Fairfield
09-27-2010, 6:57 PM
Definitely makes a difference on every bit of glass type that I have tried. Maybe it's just mystical you Dan!

Ditto. Obvious improvement every time.