PDA

View Full Version : Boston trip gloat

Andrew Gibson
09-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I am back from my trip to Boston, and with me came a 40 LB box of tools.
some I got at the live free or die tool auction in Nashua NH. Some I got from my Fiance's aunt, and a couple saws I got at a antique store.

Lets start with the saws from the antique store. A Disston #7 with nice etch dating to the 1880's I believe it's 6ppi rip 26" long. Looks to have seen very little use. the other is a disston #12. 20" panel saw. I think it is 11ppi x-cut. The etch is gone but the handle is nice. this one dates to 1896-1917. I paid $12 each. I may sell these as they don't hold a sentimental value, and i dont see myself using them, even though they would perform very nicely.

Next come the tools I got from my soon to be aunt. 3 saws, a D-7 x-cut dating between the wars, and a pair of warranted superiors, one quite old and needing a new handle. from her i also received a craftsmen #5, a Stanley 110, a Stanley sliding bevel, a box set of miter clamps, an old heavy bar clamp, some files and rasps, a Stanley spoke shave, and some drill bits.

At the Live free or die auction and tailgate sale I got a bunch of stuff. In the auction itself I got a Stanley #4c type 19 in box, basically brand new. I paid $60 for it and I fear I paid to much, hopefully it turns into a good user. I wanted something so i could say I got something in the auction so call it an impulse buy.
Outside in the tailgate sale I got several Stanley's including a 60-1/2, 71-1/4, and 79. Also grabbed a couple Yankee drills and an egg beater drill.
my one regret was passing up a Stanley 140. There was I guy with several ranging in price from under $100 to over $200. I thought about it but being that the auction was my first stop of the week I didn't want to blow my entire budget the first day.

All in all I spent a little less then $250. I think I did fairly good.
Anyway time for some pic's.

john brenton
09-25-2010, 2:13 PM
you only paid about $190 for all but the Stanley #4...that's a killer score.

$190 at one of the new tool companies would get you a bench brush, a toothing iron, a weather vane and a key fob.

Tony Shea
09-25-2010, 2:45 PM
I think you did good. $12 for each saw is not too bad especially considering the shape they look to be in. The almost look like full plates and have had very little, if any sharpening done on them. Those alone are a good score. And the #4c isn't terrible either. It would seem to me that you can't get one any cheaper in an unused condition like the one shown, especially with the box and all. It looks as though it could become an extremely good user plane with a minimum of work. Congrats on the tool aquisitions and think you made out very well. I have to get the ambition to post my latest tool gloat myself.

Chris Vandiver
09-25-2010, 3:02 PM
Very nice haul. The saws look excellent. Keep them and use them, you won't regret it.

James Phillips
09-25-2010, 4:50 PM
I am looking for a good crosscut saw. Let me know if you decide to sell the D-12

Thanks
James

Federico Mena Quintero
09-25-2010, 8:05 PM
I am back from my trip to Boston, and with me came a 40 LB box of tools.
some I got at the live free or die tool auction in Nashua NH. Some I got from my Fiance's aunt, and a couple saws I got at a antique store.

*Drool*.

Is that an antique store in Boston, and if so, which one / where is it? :) I go to Boston once every couple of years, so it would be good to stuff my suitcase full of sharp metal, for a bit of excitement at the airport.

Andrew Gibson
09-26-2010, 12:26 AM
The antique store that I got the 2 saws at is in Pembroke, just off route 3. I don't remember the name of the store. The owner of the shop had the 2 saws in the corner away from the other tools. There were not a lot of tools there, nothing that I was interested in anyway, accept for the saws. I think the owner of the shop was the one that had the saws and the rest of the tools were on consignment.

Dan Andrews
09-26-2010, 3:22 PM
Good haul Andrew! Do you realize that the hand drill you bought is a Millers Falls #5 dating from 1903 - 1909? That has got to be a refinished drill I asume, but even so it is a great collector drill. Do you remember what you paid for it?

Andrew Gibson
09-26-2010, 4:10 PM
Good haul Andrew! Do you realize that the hand drill you bought is a Millers Falls #5 dating from 1903 - 1909? That has got to be a refinished drill I asume, but even so it is a great collector drill. Do you remember what you paid for it?

I paid $15 for the drill. Actually I paid $22 or $23 for the drill and the goodell Pratt Yankee drill #185?. I thought it had all the original bits, it had 3 original bits and 4 or 5 small taps... I took a look at the drill and I think the finish is original... I don't see any old japanning under the finish, and where there are small chips the finish looks quite even, though the casting is quite rough.

The main gear (attached to drill shaft) looks to have been punched out and in the process the gear was damaged around one of the pin holes... anyway it does not hinder the function of the drill. however the gear liked to slide up and down slightly so I put in a plastic washer and all runs very nicely.
I think you can see the damage in this pic, and you can see the washer i added...

Dan Andrews
09-27-2010, 6:28 AM
Andrew, you should be arrested for theft! With or without refinishing you did very well. If not refinished that drll is in exceptional condition for its age.

Now you see... your chuck does not have springs to return the jaws. For a user drill that will be inconvenient. Just because I am such a nice guy, I will trade you a newer #5 with return springs for your drill (LOL).

Ted Martens
09-27-2010, 7:20 PM
Andrew, there are supposed to be 4 (or 5, I don't remember) ball bearings up inside the bore that receives the shaft. The fact that there's metal broken out of the spline gear and there was vertical slop in the shaft tells me that it's probably been re-done and the bearings were lost somewhere along the line.

I think there's also supposed to be a hardened metal disk to keep the bearings from rolling a groove in the casting, too.

You might be able to find bearings to fit, 1/16" - 3/32" or thereabouts, with a disk of the right thickness, you can remove the movement without need of that plastic shim.

They are sweet little drills, I picked mine up at a flea market for $7 (gratuitous gloat), but then again, it didn't look as nice as yours. I cleaned & lubed it, but I kinda like the patina, so no repaint on this tool. And you won't miss that spring, no worries there.

Andrew Gibson
09-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Andrew, there are supposed to be 4 (or 5, I don't remember) ball bearings up inside the bore that receives the shaft. The fact that there's metal broken out of the spline gear and there was vertical slop in the shaft tells me that it's probably been re-done and the bearings were lost somewhere along the line.

I think there's also supposed to be a hardened metal disk to keep the bearings from rolling a groove in the casting, too.

You might be able to find bearings to fit, 1/16" - 3/32" or thereabouts, with a disk of the right thickness, you can remove the movement without need of that plastic shim.

They are sweet little drills, I picked mine up at a flea market for $7 (gratuitous gloat), but then again, it didn't look as nice as yours. I cleaned & lubed it, but I kinda like the patina, so no repaint on this tool. And you won't miss that spring, no worries there.

Thanks Ted, when I took the drill apart the little plate/shim was there, I know this because it fell out on the bench when I was working on it. However I am 99% sure the bearings were not. I will have to keep my eye out for some. I would assume that the plate goes in first then the bearings, then the drill post captures the bearings?

Andrew Gibson
09-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I in fact have both bearing races. The inside one was being held in with old grease and came right out when I put a drop of oil in. Now I just need to figure out what size bearings to get. I measured all the depths and it comes out to a 1/8" bearing to eliminate the slop. that being said I feel that an 1/8th inch bearing might be slightly large for the race because it seems that it would hang over the edge of the race iteslf. I am thinking of going with a 3/32" bearing but thought I would wait to see if anyone can confirm before I order 50 of them from McMaster carr. that would leave right at 1/32" of play in the shaft + however deep the bearing groove is in the race faces.