PDA

View Full Version : Bed Design Article FWW

Jim Becker
12-18-2004, 3:22 PM
For those of you who read Fine Woodworking (or want to pick up the referenced issue), the new February 2005 issue has a nice article on bed design with excellent tutorials in joinery and other aspects specific to the needs of bed design.

Mark Singer
12-18-2004, 4:51 PM
Now you tell me!:D

John Miliunas
12-18-2004, 5:22 PM
Now you tell me!:D

Oh yeah...Right. Like YOU really need help in either, design OR joinery! :rolleyes: Sheeesh....Who needs FWW when we have you doing tutorials right up front and personal?! :D :cool:

Mark Singer
12-19-2004, 9:59 AM
Jim,

What is on the cover...I think the last one I got was a "Tools and Shops"

Jim Becker
12-19-2004, 10:04 AM
What is on the cover...I think the last one I got was a "Tools and Shops"
The lead "Tool Test" is Tenoning jigs and there is a picture of a young fellow cutting tenons on a blank for a curved chair back. (presumably...). Upper right-hand corner has a red block with "Basics of Bed Design" in it.

Mark Singer
12-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Mine must be in the mail then...I haven't recieved it. Jim is there any pointers that would change what I am doing? I have used the bed rail hardware on more conventional beds....anything new worth noting?

Jim Becker
12-19-2004, 10:29 AM
No, I do not believe you would change anything. But the article is really nice in that it shows quite a few ways to do things including handling knock-down needs. Great resource for anyone considering building a bed or several.

Ken Leshner
12-19-2004, 1:37 PM
The lead "Tool Test" is Tenoning jigs and there is a picture of a young fellow cutting tenons on a blank for a curved chair back.
Just an aside... That fellow on the cover is Strother Purdy. I attended a couple of classes he gave at one of the local Woodcraft stores. He's a good teacher and a fine woodworker. Check out his designs at http://www.strotherpurdy.com.