PDA

View Full Version : Maple Rocker

Bret Duffin
09-25-2010, 12:30 AM
To All,

About 25 years ago I attended a two day chair building seminar taught by Sam Maloof and soon aafter that I built a child's rocker for my dauughters which my grandson now uses.

I waited unitl now to complete my first full sized rocking chair. I tried not to copy Sam's stuff but there are some obvious influences from him in this chair although I also have a long way to go to reach his level off mastery.

It's all pretty comfortable except where your elbows hit when you have your hands in your lap, I got the arm rests too narrow at that point. A fairly minor annoyance but something to remember next time.

The M & T joints are all double or triple compound angled which I found easiest to cut using hand tools in combination with the band saw, same with the duoble lap joints at the leg to seat connection. The splats and runners are laminated from thin strips and the rails are mortised to accept a tenon from the legs.

Take a look, Bret

Scott Dodd
09-25-2010, 7:28 AM
At first the white color and the small thumbnail pictures threw me off. I was thinking it was a nice chair but thats all. But, as I looked at the pictures closer I saw the curves & angles which all flowed togher for a form and finish more like a piece of art than a rocking chair. Excellent work!

Scott

Bret Duffin
09-26-2010, 12:37 AM
At first the white color and the small thumbnail pictures threw me off. I was thinking it was a nice chair but thats all. But, as I looked at the pictures closer I saw the curves & angles which all flowed togher for a form and finish more like a piece of art than a rocking chair. Excellent work!

Scott

Here are some warmer toned photos. The chair is unfinished at this point.

Gordon Eyre
09-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Beautiful work, congratulations.

Mark Dorman
09-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Looks great Bret. Everything flows togther very well. I hope to make a rocker in the future and I'll book mark this to refer back to.

Mark

Prashun Patel
10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Brett-

Where are the pics with the finish on?

That chair is impressive. The joinery on the commercially available plans are actually a lot easier to produce than yours since it's all screwed and plugged joints - not M&T. Hats off to you on those joints.

Really impressive.

Joe A Faulkner
10-23-2010, 7:32 PM
Very well done