PDA

View Full Version : Advice on coping/fret/jewelers saw for DTs.

Clisby Clark
09-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Heretofore, I've always chopped out the waste on my dovetails. However, after watching some videos it looks like others cut them out much faster than I'm chopping them out. Can anyone recommend a good supplier of a saw you currently use and perhaps some comments on your experience cutting as opposed to chopping.

Thanks

Derek Cohen
09-25-2010, 4:51 AM
The best available in my opinion is the Knew Concepts Fretsaw. My review of the prototypes is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/KnewConceptsFretsaw.html

The production version is similar to the last one I reported on, but with the ability to go both 45- and 90 degrees. It is optimised for cutting away the waste of dovetails.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Coloccia
09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Great review, Derek. Wow, what a resource. I agree with everything you've said re: fret saws. They're universally junky, but that KnewConcepts one looks HOT. I never knew I could get excited about a fret saw!

Bob Jones
09-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I use the big one from craftsmanstudio and I like it alot. I have not used any others.

Rob Young
09-25-2010, 1:12 PM
I have a jewler's style fret saw from Zona Tools that I like. It wasn't terribly much money and you can use standard scroll saw blades. I just put a little twist in the blade so I can hold the frame at an angle and clear the pins/tails as I work my way across a wide board. The finer tooth blades fit in my DT saw kerf. I've also experimented a little with circular cutting blades. They work but it is easy to drift and ding the line!

It takes a little practice getting the tension set on these guys but so far so good.

I also built a bow saw based on the hardware from Tools For Working Wood and with the fine tooth blade it works pretty well. The blades are wider than the kerf from my DT saw so I have to swing down in two passes. But with a 12" cutting length, about two passes and you are there!

Martin Shupe
09-25-2010, 5:03 PM
The best available in my opinion is the Knew Concepts Fretsaw. My review of the prototypes is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/KnewConceptsFretsaw.html

The production version is similar to the last one I reported on, but with the ability to go both 45- and 90 degrees. It is optimised for cutting away the waste of dovetails.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I went to their site, but did not find this saw available for sale.

Any ideas on when they will make a production saw in titanium?

Derek Cohen
09-25-2010, 8:59 PM
Hi Martin

I am not sure when the saws will go up on Lee's website, but I know he was gearing up for WIA, and he will be there to demonstrate and sell the latest design.

I am not certain whether these will be titanium or aluminium (I think the former), but either way the saws are excellent. The aluminium have a modified bracing system and are almost as stiff as the titanium, and a snitch lighter.

Email Lee - he is an exceptionally nice man. Very approachable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Roy Lindberry
09-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I just use this basic model (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003720/1478/Adjustable-Frame-Fret-Saw.aspx) from Woodcraft. It works well for me with a skip tooth blade (I'm using 12.5 TPI right now), but I'm not using it to cut to the line. I just use it to cut out the bulk of the waste, and then chisel to the line. So far, I'm happy.

Rick Mellin
09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I just picked up the new Rob Cosman fret saw and it works great. The handle is wrapped like a hockey stick and it fits your hand like a glove. I have quite a bit of 3/4" hard maple and decided to cut some dovetails to try out the saw, I thought that the blade would break, but I did not have any problems at all. Good luck with your choice.
Cheers-Rick

Trevor Walsh
09-30-2010, 9:09 PM
As cool as a Knew Concepts saw is, and no I've never used one, nor am I trying to bash them. I prefer to make as much of my own tools as I can. That includes a fret saw for an upcoming handcut dovetails class I'm taking.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bv1kH00MU8E/TKUzY_6gDPI/AAAAAAAAAP4/U_-b69p0wi0/s1600/DSCF1370.JPG

It's turned from cherry, and will have brass fittings. Since this photo, I've put two coats of mineral oil on it. I still have to finish and epoxy the fittings into the arms.

David Weaver
09-30-2010, 9:35 PM
If you're going to spend more than the zona version of the fretsaw style cosman uses, I would buy the knew concepts saw. If you're going to use the style of fretsaw that cosman uses, there are versions of it all over the cost spectrum.

I have the cosman / zona / everyone else style saw, a couple of coping saws, and the deep reach fretsaw that you can get from musician's supply houses.

The knew concepts saw is head and shoulders above the other ones. If you're at WIA, it's worth a try, I think. I was going to wait to play with mine, but i just went down and swapped out the blade for a coarser skip-tooth blade and played with it for about ten minutes. Either the saw's blade-holding mechanism, or the feel of using it would be worth the cost. With both together, it's great, and I never thought I would tout a $49 fretsaw, but i think it's money well spent, especially if you ever envision cutting anything else with it or even just a lot of dovetails.

Not necessary by any means, you can get the zona jewelers saw for about $10 (and if you get that style, I'd skip the woodworking stores, there's no reason to pay 2-4+ times as much for the same thing that's $10 from a hobby shop), and it's of US origin, but the new design is just better in every respect - the tension and cutting action is better (tension adjustment is superb), and the blade changes are easier and have a very positive lockup feel.