PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Cherry Staircase

Richard Wolf
09-24-2010, 10:06 PM
I haven't post a staircase lately because they all start to look the same. Here is a unique one. It is a triple curve, both stringers curve out, and the risers bow out also. The treads, post and rails are brazilian cherry. Two curved balconies too boot.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Richard,

We would never tire of admiring your craftsmanship.

Gorgeous work.

Von Bickley
09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Richard,

We would never tire of admiring your craftsmanship.

Gorgeous work.

I agree with Ken....... :)

ed vitanovec
09-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Your work is always fantastic to look at in your postings, I'm sure in person it is breath taking. How do you make the curved railings?

Regards!
Ed

Peter Quinn
09-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Beautiful stuff Richard! Thanks for brightening my day.

mike caruso
09-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Nice to see another craftsmans work, Glad to see that some people are still spending money on fine detail and helping america back to work. Some stuff i recently finished.

Bruce Page
09-25-2010, 2:30 AM
Beautiful work Richard (as always). I have worked with Brazilian cherry, it is not nearly as nice to work with as American cherry.

glenn bradley
09-25-2010, 5:57 AM
Beautiful as always Richard. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Hammond
09-25-2010, 9:56 AM
Fantastic work. I can do straight... but curved is a little beyond my abilities right now.

Why white spindles? Was it a cost issue, preference, scarcity of material?

Richard Wolf
09-25-2010, 1:17 PM
Why white spindles? Was it a cost issue, preference, scarcity of material?

White balusters are very popular, 90% of my customers pick painted balusters. They are very traditional and add more contrast. All wood starts to look overdone except under the right circumstances.

Making curved rails is very time consuming. The two most popular methods are bending rails, which are bent wood laminations or laying the curve up like a wheel. The downstairs curves are bending rails and the upstairs balcony was laid up. In the third picture you can see one of the seams in the balcony.

Thanks for looking.

Richard