PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone displays you can see in daylight?

rick carpenter
09-24-2010, 9:33 PM
I just saw the Kindle commercial where the guy asks the lady how she's able to read her e-book device in the sunlight. She responds that it's a Kindle. So, do any cell phones use that same display technology?

Eric DeSilva
09-25-2010, 8:17 AM
I just saw the Kindle commercial where the guy asks the lady how she's able to read her e-book device in the sunlight. She responds that it's a Kindle. So, do any cell phones use that same display technology?

You're referring to e-Ink, and the answer, as far as I'm aware, is no. The benefits of e-Ink are reduced power consumption and legibility in daylight. The downsides are slow updates (means no video) and BW only. Those seem to be critical features for phones these days...

Bryan Morgan
09-26-2010, 2:39 AM

No, it would kind of defeat the purpose. The e-ink displays switch the crystals and then turn off. Cell phones are constantly refreshing the screen and at a higher resolution. My OLED screen looks fine in daylight...