PDA

View Full Version : Plane Frog Question

James Phillips
09-24-2010, 6:43 PM
I have #4, #5, and #6 Wood River planes. I really like these guys and they cut great. I am still not a hand plane expert and need much practice, however, I have noticed that the frog on the #5 seems to be out of square. I have to adjust the lateral lever over to get a square cut. Can this be fixed or do I just have to live with it?

Thanks

Sam Takeuchi
09-24-2010, 7:21 PM
How are you determining if frog or blade is square?

Jonathan McCullough
09-24-2010, 7:30 PM
No, you should be able to adjust it. It's got a Bedrock-style frog adjustment. Take the lever cap off and remove the blade/chipbreaker. At the back of the frog you'll see three screws (well there's a fourth little one there too but . . . ) the two screws on the left and the right go into the clamps that hold the frog down. Loosen them until you can jiggle the frog straight. I think it should have a little play. The large screw in the middle will advance or retreat the frog if you want to close or open up the throat. Once you're done adjusting, reverse the procedure and you should be good to go.

Ray Sheley
09-26-2010, 8:08 PM
And as Sam as asked, perhaps it is your blade that is not square?

James Taglienti
09-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I read in a review somewhere that a few woodrivers had frogs that weren't perfectly square.

I had a Bed Rock with a frog that wasn't perfectly square, but the pins just fit through the frog so there wasn't any room for adjustment.

You could grind your cutter a little crooked if you want...

I barely ever grind my cutters and constant freehand honing makes them pretty crooked. None of my laterals are dead center.