PDA

View Full Version : Inheritance (Gloat?)

Austin Works
09-24-2010, 3:46 PM
I'm relatively new so I'm not sure if these qualify as gloats or not.

After 20 years I finally retrieved some things from my Mom's house, including my grandfather's tool chest. I've seen this style of chest in a couple of places but I don't have any info on whether its home made or factory made, although I'd assume factory.

Gramp was apparently a welder at a paper mill and not as much a wood worker. That made the 1896-1917 # 7 pretty cherry, but there weren't too many other gems. In the picture are several metal tools I assume he made as well as a craftsman brace, a Wards Master square, Defiance level, and a Beaver mill toothed file. It'll be nice to put some of them back to use, although I need to create some space in the workshop/basement so I can put the van back in the garage.

David Weaver
09-24-2010, 4:02 PM
Looks like a nice chest. I'm assuming the picture of the #7 is forthcoming.

I like milled tooth files and floats - you can go hard with them and rip off material, or you can have a light touch and leave a nice surface that doesn't need as much attention as a rasp. Sometimes they're a nice alternative to a rasp for certain things.

Mike Davis NC
09-24-2010, 4:05 PM
I love the tool chest! Can you make some pics of the inside?

You are very blessed to have tools from your grand father.

Will Boulware
09-24-2010, 4:50 PM
Cool! Pics of the inside of the chest? I like it!

Gary Hodgin
09-24-2010, 8:18 PM
Nice chest and tools! Glad you got your grandfather's tools.
Gary

Austin Works
09-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Here are a few more pics - it's a bit hard to tell on the #7 how clean it is - the flash highlights how blond the handle is, but it makes some areas of tarnish stand out too much.

The inside of the chest is two layers of tills with a saw cradle on the back side of the bottom. The license plate came from our old barn, but as far as I know not from Gramp, although he could have been driving in 1917.

Austin Works
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
While I was in Maine I also hit the Fairfield Antique Mall where I've had some good luck in the past - the one thing I couldn't leave was a 1871-1876 vintage small #7, pictured with Gramp's saw. The lamb's ear has a crack, so it won't be a user unless I make another handle for it. For some reason I have a soft spot for little saws like this.

Dan Andrews
09-26-2010, 3:37 PM
I just love that #7 pannel saw. The tool chest is a great heirloom to have and use.